LITTLE HEREFORD, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"LITTLE HEREFORD, a parish in the hundred of Wolphy, county Hereford, 3 miles N.E. of Tenbury, its post town, 6½ from Ludlow, and 8 from Leominster. It is situated on the river Teme and Leominster canal, and contains the townships of Upton and Little Hereford, with the hamlet of Dirty Middleton. The land is partly in hops and partly arable. The soil is of various qualities. The living is a rectory* annexed to that of Ashford-Carbonell, in the diocese of Hereford, value £300, in the patronage of the Bishop of Worcester. The church, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, is an antique stone structure with a belfry containing three bells. The interior of the church contains a piscina, sedilia, old register, with several monuments, also two brasses of very ancient date. Here is a school for children of both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is also held. The charities consist of cottages for the poor. Easton Court, a modern mansion, is the principal residence. Sir Joseph Bailey is lord of the manor and principal landowner." "UPTON, a township in the parish of Little Hereford, hundred of Wolphy, county Hereford, 3 miles S.W. of Tenbury."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]