Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1879
Return to top of page [Transcribed by Richard Lane in January 2003
LLANGARRON is a parish and village 5 miles south-west from Ross, 6 north from Monmouth, 13 south from Hereford, in Wormelow hundred, Ross county court district and union, Harewood's End petty sessional district, Archenfield rural deanery and Hereford archdeaconry and diocese, situated on the Garron Brook, one of the principal tributaries of the River Wye, and is about 3 miles north of that river. The church of St. Deinst, an old stone building in the Anglo-Norman style, has been repaired and enlarged, and contains 475 sittings, 194 of which are free: it has chancel, nave north aisle, tower with spire and porch, and contains four monuments. The register dates from the year 1569. The living is a vicarage, with the chapelry of St. Weonard's, joint yearly value £500, and about 30 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Hereford, and held by the Rev. Henry John Potts, B.A. of trinity College, Cambridge. Here are Wesleyan and Congregational chapels. Langstone court, now the residence of John Jones, esq. M.D., J.P. is a very old mansion, supposed to have been built bi Inigo Jones: this mansion was in the possession of the Gwylliams, and in an old stable was found a pane of glass on which were engraved the names of Mr. And Mrs. Gwylliam, bearing date 1681; several antiquities have been found here, and from its great age and many curiosities the mansion forms a prominent feature in the objects of interest in the neighbourhood. Penrithan Court is now a farm house. The parish is in several manors. The Governors of Guy's Hospital, Sir Joseph Russell Bailey, bart. M.P. Thomas Mayos, esq. And John Jones, esq. Are chief landowners. The soil is sandy and loamy; subsoil, chiefly sandstone and rock. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 5,605 acres; rateable value, £9,349; and the population in 1871 was 1,156.
LONGROVE, or Llangrove, 1½ mile south, is now an ecclesiastical parish, and will be found under a separate head.
LLANCLODY is 2 miles west. Here is a Wesleyan chapel.
LEWSON is 1½ miles south. The Congregational chapel is here
KILREAGUE, or Kilrhyg, Llangunnoch, Langstone with Trewan, Trecilla, and Tredoughan are townships, which have only jurisdiction for highway purposes.
KILREAGUE or Kilrhyg township is 1 mile west
LLANGUNNOCH township is 2 miles north-west
LANGSTONE township is 1 mile north
TREWAN township is 2 miles south
TRECILLA township is ¼ mile north-east
TREDOUGHAN township is 1 mile south-east
Parish Clerk.- John Morris
POST OFFICE.-Mrs. Eliza Rudge, postmistress. Letters arrive from Ross at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 5.40 p.m. Whitchurch is the nearest money order office.
National School.- William Lord, master.
Llangarron Bird John, Panbrook Jones John, M.D., J.P. Langstone Court Coke Rev. William, B.A. Garron Cottage Llewelyn John, Tre-Evan Hartland James, Biddleston Potts Rev. Henry John, B.A. [vicar] COMMERCIAL Banton Thomas, shopkeeper Notley Charles, miller, Trereece Mill Barrell John, King's Head, Llancloudy Partridge Cornelius, machinist Berrow Theophilus Gilbert, farmer, Llangarron Court Partridge Edward, boot and shoemaker Bevan William, tailor Pope George, farmer Clark James, cooper, Common Priddy Charles, shopkeeper and blacksmith, Llancloudy Davies James, farmer, Park Mill Ragband William, mason Drinkwater George Edward, farmer Reynolds Isaac, carpenter Evans James, farmer, Lower Trewan Rudge William, farmer Evans William, farmer, Langstone Scudamore George, farmer, Treworgan Garness Samuel, boot and shoemaker Scudamore Thomas, farmer Griffiths Thomas, miller, Langstone Mill Sherriff Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Tredunoch Hartland James, farmer, Biddlestone Spencer William, farm bailiff to T. M. Mayos, esq. James John, farmer, Upper Field Taylor Thomas, farmer, Hill Farm Keddle Thomas, farmer, Penblaith Farm Tummey John, Three Horseshoes Lewis Humphrey, farmer, Treburnfrey Farm Watkins Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Little Bernithan Morgan John, farmer, Treduchan Wheale Amos, blacksmith Morris Edward, wheelwright and carpenter Wheale James, blacksmith Morris John, carpenter Williams John, farmer, Upper Park
Llangunnoch Mayos Thomas, farmer Wheale Henry, blacksmith
Trewan Marfell James, farmer Strong George, farmer Scudamore Ann (Mrs.), farmer
Trevervan Parry George, farmer Walters Margaret (Mrs.), farmer
Treribble Maddox Joseph, farmer
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1879 in Hereford Central Library]