Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1885
Return to top of page [Transcribed by Richard Lane in January 2003
LLANGARREN is a parish and village 5 miles south-west from Ross, 6 north from Monmouth, 13 south from Hereford, in the southern division of the county, Wormelow hundred, Ross county court district and union, Harewood End petty sessional district, Archenfield rural deanery and Hereford archdeaconry and diocese, situated on the Garron Brook, one of the principle tributaries of the River Wye, and is about 3 miles north of that river. The church of St. Deinst is an ancient building of stone in the Transition Norman style, consisting of chancel with aisle, nave, north aisle, porch, and a tower with spire, containing 6 bells: there are 4 monuments: the church has been repaired and enlarged, and has 475 sittings, of which 194 are free. The register dates from the year 1569. The living is vicarage, tithe rent-charge £274; yearly value £169, including about 11 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Hereford, and held since 1854 by the Rev. Henry John Potts B.A. of Trinity College Cambridge. Langstone Court, now the residence of John Jones esq. M.D., J.P. is a mansion of the seventeeth century, supposed to have been built by Inigo Jones: it was once held by the Gwylliams, and in stable on the premises a pane of glass has been found, scratched with the names of Mr. And Mrs. Gwylliam, and the date of 1681: from its age and many curiosities the mansion is an object of much interest in the neighbourhood. Penrithan Court is now a farm house. The parish is in several manors. The Governors of Guy's Hospital, Sir Joseph Russell Bailey bart. M.P., D.I., J.P. of Glanusk Park, Crickhowell, Thomas Mayos esq. And John Jones esq. Are chief landowners. The soil is sandy and loamy; subsoil, chiefly sandstone and rock. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 5605 acres; rateable value, £7,456; the population in 1881 was 1,045.
LONGROVE, or Llangrove, 1½ miles south, is now an ecclesiastical parish, and will be found under a separate head.
LLANCLODY is 2 miles west. Here is a Wesleyan chapel.
LEWSON is 1½ miles south.
KILREAGUE or Kilrhyg, 1 mile west; Llangunnoch, 2 miles north-west; Langstone 1 mile north, Trewan 2 miles south, Trecilla ¼ mile north-east; and Tredoughan 1 mile south-east are townships, which have only jurisdiction for highway purposes
Parish Clerk.- John Morris.
POST OFFICE.- Mrs Eliza Rudge, postmistress. Letters arrive from Ross at 8.00 a.m.; dispatched at 5.40 p.m. Whitchurch is the nearest money order office; & telegraph office at Kerne Bridge Railway Station.
National School (mixed), with residence for master, built in 1857 for 84 children; average attendance, 66; William Lord, Master.
Llangarren Coke Rev. William B.A. Garron Hill Cottage Jones John, M. D., J.P. Langstone Court Greaves John Hanley, Panbrook Potts Rev. Henry John B.A. [vicar] Herbert Rev. George B.A., J.P. The Grove COMMERCIAL Amos Edwin, farm bailiff to T. M. Mayos esq. Morris Edward, wheelwright and carpenter Banton Thomas, shopkeeper Morris John, carpenter Berrow Theophilus Gilbert, farmer, Llangarren Court Notley Charles, miller (water), Trereece Mill Bevan William, tailor Partridge Cornelius, machinist Clarke James, cooper, Common Partridge Edward, boot and shoe maker Davies James and William, farmers, Lankagee Pope George, farmer Davies James, farmer, Park Mill Priddy Charles, shopkeeper and blacksmith, Llancloudy Davies William, assistant overseer Ragband William, mason Drinkwater George Edward, farmer Roberts John, farmer Evans William, farmer, Langstone Rudge William, farmer Evans William, farmer, Little Bernithan Scudamore Thomas, farmer, Kilreague and Upper Field Garness Samuel, boot and shoe maker Smith Alfred, farmer, Upper Park Hartland James, farmer, Biddlestone Smith James, farmer, Tredunnoch Jones James, King's Head P.H. Llancloudy Stone John Taylor, Treburnfrey Farm Keddle Thomas, farmer, Penblaith Farm Taylor John, farmer, Hill Farm Lane Henry, wheelwright Till William, farmer, Treworgan Lewis Richard, miller (water), Langstone Mill Tummey John, Three Horseshoes P.H. Morgan John, farmer, Treduchan Wheale Amos, blacksmith
Llangunnoch Mayos Thomas, farmer Wheale Henry, blacksmith
Trewan Marfels James, farmer Strong George, farmer Nelmes John, farmer
Trevervan Joseph George, miller (water) Walters Margaret, farmer Parry George, farmer
Treribble Rudge William Henry, farmer
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1885 in Hereford Central Library]