Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1905
Return to top of page [Transcribed by Richard Lane in January 2003
LLANGARREN is an extensive parish and village on the Garron Brook, one of the tributaries of the River Wye, and is about 3 miles north of that River; it is 6 miles south-west from Ross Station on the Great Western Railway, 6 north from Monmouth, and 13 south from Hereford, in the Southern division of the county, Wormelow hundred, Harewood End petty Sessional division, Ross county court district and union, Archenfield rural deanery and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Deinst is an ancient building of stone in the Transition Norman style, consisting of chancel with aisle, nave of four bays, north aisle, north porch and a western tower with spire, containing 6 bells: there are monuments to William and Jane Gwillym, dated 1717; Jane Symonds, d. 1727; Rowland Scudamore, d. 1697, and Margaret Tovey, d. 1803: the church was repaired and enlarged in 1841, and was refloored and reseated in 1900: there are 475 sittings, of which 194 are free. The register dates from the year 1569. The living is a perpetual curacy, net yearly value £187, with about 13 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Hereford, and held since 1901 by the Rev. Edward Ernest Cunnington, M.A., of Cambridge University, and B.A. of University of London. Langstone Court, the property and residence of Mrs. Jones, is a mansion of the 17th century, supposed to have been built by Indigo Jones: it was once held by the Gwylliams, and in a stable on the premises a pane of glass has been found, scratched with the names of Mr. And Mrs. Gwylliam and the date 1681: from its age and many curiosities the mansion is an object of much interest in the neighbourhood. Bernithan Court, formerly the seat of the Hoskins Family, is said to have been visited by James I.; it is now a farmhouse and contains portraits in oil of the twelve Cæsars. The Parish is in several manors. The Governors of Guy's Hospital and Lord Glanusk, of Glanusk Park, Crickhowell, are the chief landowners. The soil is sandy and loamy; subsoil, chiefly sandstone and rock. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 5,388 acres of land and 23 of water; rateable value, £5,404, including Long-grove; the population in 1901 was 821 in the civil and 462 in the ecclesiastical parish.
LLANGROVE, or Long-grove, 1½ miles south, is now an ecclesiastical parish, and will be found under a separate head.
LLANCLOUDY is 2 miles west. Here is a Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1840.
KILREAGUE, or Kilrhyg, 1 mile west: Llangunnock, 2 miles north-west; Langstone, 1 mile north; Trecilla, a quarter of a mile north-east; and Treduchan, 1 mile south-east, are hamlets.
Sexton.- William Clarke.
POST M.O. & T.O., T.M.O., E.D., P.P., S.B. & A&I. Office. - George Rudge, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Ross at 8.10 a.m.; dispatched at 4.10p.m. and 5.42 p.m.; no delivery on Sunday.
Post & Postal Order Office, Three Ashes. - William Sanders, sub-postmaster. Letters through Ross arrive 7.50 a.m.; dispatched at 6.15 p.m. weekdays only. St. Weonards, 2 miles distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph, office.
Wall Letter Box at Trevervan, cleared at 5.10 p.m.
Public Elementary School (mixed), with residence for mistress, built in 1857, and enlarged in 1886, for 123 children; average attendance, 51; Mrs. Fanny Scudamore, mistress.
LLANGARREN Cunnington Rev. Edward Ernest, M.A. (incumbent) Jones Thomas Joseph, B.A., M.B., Langstone Court Dauncey Col. Thursby, Woodfields Probert William Henry, Biddlestone Gowring Edward Alex, Tre Eyan House Reece John, Upper Field Handley-Greaves John, Panbrook Smith Miss E., Thatch Close Jones Henry, Langstone Court Trevor Capt. Alfred, Trecilla House Jones Mrs. Langstone Court COMMERCIAL Amos Edwin, farmer, Langstone Mill Kirby John, carpenter Banton Lucy (Mrs>0, shopkeeper Lane Henry, Wheelwright Davies Benjamin, farmer, Trebumfrey Mayos Thomas Lee, nurseryman Davies Edward M., baker, Trereece Mill Mayos William, farmer, Trewaugh Davies James, farmer, Park Mill Morris Edward, wheelwright & carpenter Davies William Francis, farmer, Little Bernithan Rudge George, post office Dew Henry Thomas, farmer, Trecilla Farm Saunders Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Upper Park Drinkwater George Edward, farmer, Bernithan Court Scudamore Fanny (Mrs.), schoolmistress Dullam Joshua, farmer, Langstone Scudamore Thomas, farmer, Kilreague Hughes Joseph, farmer, Llangarren Court Tucker John, farmer, Tredunnock Jarvis Edwin P. carpenter Tummey John & Sons, threshing machine owners & millers Jones Mary A. (Miss), King's Head P.H., Llancloudy Tummey John, Three Horseshoes P.H. Jones Thomas Joseph, B.A., Cambridge, M.B. & C.M.,Ed., M.R.S.C.Eng., surgeon & medical officer, No 4 district, Ross union, Langstone Court Tummey Sidney Howard, farmer, Trereece Farm Joseph George, farmer, The Grove Weale Henry, blacksmith
LLANGUNNOCK Embry John, Assistant Overseer of St. Weonards, Penjarvis Weal Henry, Blacksmith Jordan Ebenezer, farmer
TREVERVAN Rudge William Henry, farmer
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1905 in Hereford Central Library]