Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1913
Return to top of page [Transcribed by Richard Lane in January 2003
LLANGARREN is an extensive parish and village on the Garron Brook, one of the tributaries of the River Wye, and is about 3 miles north of that River; it is 6 miles south-west from Ross Station on the Great Western Railway, 6 north from Monmouth, and 13 south from Hereford, in the Southern division of the county, Wormelow hundred, Harewood End petty Sessional division, Ross county court district and union, Archenfield rural deanery and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Deinst is an ancient building of stone in the Transition Norman style, consisting of chancel with aisle, nave of four bays, north aisle, north porch and a western tower with spire, containing 6 bells: there are monuments to William and Jane Gwillym, dated 1717; Jane Symonds, d. 1727; Rowland Scudamore, d. 1697, and Margaret Tovey, d. 1803: the church was repaired and enlarged in 1841, and was refloored and reseated in 1900: there are 475 sittings. The register dates from the year 1569. The living is a perpetual curacy, net yearly value £175, with 13 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Hereford, and held since 1901 by the Rev. Edward Ernest Cunnington, M.A., of Cambridge University, and B.A. of University of London, A vicarage House was erected in 1903. Langstone Court, the property and residence of Thomas Joseph Jones esq., is a mansion of the 17th century, once held by the Gwylliams, and in a stable on the premises a pane of glass has been found, scratched with the names of Mr. And Mrs. Gwylliam and the date 1681: from its age and many curiosities the mansion is an object of much interest in the neighbourhood. Bernithan Court, formerly the seat of the Hoskins Family, is said to have been visited by James I.; it is now a farmhouse and contains portraits in oil of the twelve Cæsars. The Parish is in several manors. The Governors of Guy's Hospital are the chief landowners. The soil is sandy and loamy; subsoil, chiefly sandstone and rock. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 5,388 acres of land and 23 of water; rateable value, £5,688, including Long-grove; the population in 1911 was 761 in the civil and 411 in the ecclesiastical parish.
LLANGROVE, or Long-grove, 1½ miles south, is now an ecclesiastical parish, and will be found under a separate head.
LLANCLOUDY is 2 miles west. Here is a Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1840.
KILREAGUE, or Kilrhyg, 1 mile west: Llangunnock, 2 miles north-west; Langstone, 1 mile north; Trecilla, a quarter of a mile north-east; and Treduchan, 1 mile south-east, are hamlets.
Sexton.- Henry Weale.
Post M. O. & T. Office. - George Rudge, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Ross at 7.45 a.m. and 1.5 p.m.; dispatched at 8.10 a.m. and 4.40 p.m. and 6.5 p.m.; no delivery on Sunday.
Post & Postal Order Office, Three Ashes. - Mrs. Mary Sanders, sub-postmistress. Letters through Ross arrive 7.25 a.m. & 12.55 p.m.; dispatched at 8.30 a.m. & 6.15 p.m. weekdays only. St. Weonards, 1¾ miles distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph, office.
Wall Letter Box at Tre-Evan, cleared at 5.10 p.m.
Wall Letter Box, Langstone, cleared at 7.15 a.m. & 4.50 & 6.15 p.m. week days only.
Public Elementary School (mixed), with residence for mistress, built in 1857, and enlarged in 1886, for 123 children; average attendance, 51; Miss Annie McKeating, mistress.
Constable.- George Francis Yapp.
LLANGARREN Cunnington Rev. Edward Ernest, M.A. (incumbent) Russell Samuel Charles, Thatch Close Handley-Greaves John, Panbrook Trevor Capt. Alfred Septimus J.P., Trecilla House Hughes Joseph, Cross Dunn Wyrley-Birch Thomas, Woodfields Jones Thomas Joseph, B.A., M.B., Langstone Court COMMERCIAL Amos Edwin, farmer, Langstone Mill Jones Thomas Joseph, B.A., Cambridge, M.B. & C.M., Ed., M.R.S.C. Eng., surgeon & medical officer, No 4 district, Ross union, Langstone Court Bellamy Thomas James A. farmer, Trewaugh Jordan Benjamin, farmer, Upper Field farm Brewer Walter, Three Horseshoes P.H. Lane Henry, Wheelwright Brown John, nurseryman Mason Robert, shopkeeper Cooke Joseph, fruit grower, Tre-Evan Fruit Farm Morgan Walter, farmer, hill Farm Davies Benjamin, farmer, Trebumfrey Morris Edward, wheelwright & carpenter Davies James, farmer, Park Mill Probert Wm. Hy., farmer, Biddlestone Dew Henry Thomas, farmer, Trecilla Farm Saunders Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Upper Park Drinkwater George Edward, farmer, Bernithan Court Scudamore Charles Allen, farmer, Kilreague Dullam Joshua, farmer, Langstone Court farm Tucker John, farmer, Tredunnock Griffiths Bros. Bakers, lower Trereece Tummey Ernest, threshing machine owner Hiles John, farmer, Trereece Farm Ware Edward Percy, farmer, Little Bernithan Hughes Joseph, farmer, Llangarren Court Watkins Thomas, King' s Head P.H., Llancloudy Jarvis Edwin P. carpenter Weale Henry, Blacksmith
LLANGUNNOCK Jordan Ebenezer, farmer Weal Thomas, Blacksmith
TRERIBBLE Rudge William Henry, farmer
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1913 in Hereford Central Library]