Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1941
Return to top of page [Transcribed by Richard Lane in January 2003
LLANGARRON is an extensive parish and village on the Garron Brook, one of the tributaries of the River Wye, and is about 3 miles north of that river; It is 6 miles south-west from Ross Station on the Great Western Railway, 6 north from Monmouth, and 13 south from Hereford, in the Hereford division of the County, Wormelow hundred, Harewood End petty sessional division, Ross County Court district, Ross and Archenfield rural deanery and Archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Deinst is an ancient building of stone in the Transition Norman style, consisting of chancel with aisle, nave of four bays, north aisle, north porch, and a western tower with spire, containing 6 bells: there are monuments to William and Jane Gwillym, dated 1717; Jane Symonds, d. 1727; Rowland Scudamore, d. 1697; and Margaret Tovey, d. 1803: the church was repaired and enlarged in 1841, and was refloored and reseated in 1900: in the porch is a roll of honour in memory of the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-1918: there are 475 sittings. The register dates from 1569. The living is a perpetual curacy, net yearly value £300, with 11 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Hereford, and held since 1937 by the Rev. Kenneth Alexander Knight Hallowes M.A. of Caius College Cambridge. A vicarage house was erected in 1903. Langstone Court, the property and residence of Edward Atherton Pearce Jones esq. Is an interesting mansion from its age and curiosities; part of the house is 16th century, the hall and dinning room contain fine panelled walls and decorated ceilings of Italian work, and the main staircase is a good example of 17th century work. Bernithan Court, the residence of Lt. Col. Eruald Barnardiston D.S.O. and formerly the seat of the Hoskyns or Hoskins family, is said to have been visited by James I.; The house appears to have been rebuilt in 1680-1700 by Philip Hoskins, who married Catherine Gregory, of Woolhope, whose arms are on the Old Iron Gate. The parish is in several manors. The Governors of Guy's Hospital are the chief landowners. The soil is sandy and loamy; subsoil, chiefly sandstone and rock. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 5,388 acres of land and 23 of water; the population in 1931 was 754 in civil and of the ecclesiastical parish, 375.
LLANGROVE, or Long-Grove, 1½ miles south, is now an ecclesiastical parish, and will be found under a separate head.
LLANCLOUDY is 2 miles west. Here is a Methodist Chapel, built in 1840, also a Mission Church, dedicated by the Bishop of Hereford in 1924.
KILREAGUE, or Kilrhyg, 1 mile west; Llangunnock, 2 miles north-west; Langstone, 1 mile north; Trecilla, a quarter of a mile north-east; and Treduchan, 1 mile south-east, are hamlets.
Post, Money Order & Telegraph Office. Letters through Ross-on-Wye.
Post Office, Three Ashes. Letters through Hereford. St. Weonards nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
LLANGARRON PRIVATE RESIDENTS Barnardiston Lt. Col. Eruald D.S.O. Bernithan Court Lyon-Wood Mrs. W., Cross Dunn Empson Misses, Thatch Cottage Owen Col. Charles R. B., C.M.G., R.A., Tre-Evan Hallowes Rev. Kenneth Alexander Knight M.A. (perpetual Curate), Vicarage Rudd Col. Thomas William C.B.E., Little Tredunnock Johnson Thomas Bromwich, Pen Jarvis Scudamore Mrs. Margaret, Panbrook Jones Edward Atherton Pearce, Langstone Court Trevor Capt. Alfred Septimus J.P., Trecilla House Jones Mrs. Louisa, Langstone Court Wood Lt. Col. George Benson G., D.S.O., Woodfields COMMERCIAL Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over ° Amos Harry, farmer, Langstone Court Farm. T.N. 27 Powell F., farm bailiff to H. D. Bailey esq. Little Bernithan. T.N. 23 Beard Harry, baker, Garronfield Powles Robert V., Grocer, and Post Office. T.N. 35 Bevan James George, farmer, Trebumfrey Poyner John, fruit grower, Llangarron Nurseries Bevan Kenneth, farmer, Langstone Mill Probert David, farmer, The Old Farm, Llancloudy Bevan Warren, farmer, Park Farm Prosser Percy, farmer, Biddleston. T.N. 62 ° Brewer Harry, farmer, Kilreague Reynolds Frederick, baker, Trereece ° Brewer John, farmer, Tredunnock ° Scudamore Frank H. farmer, Trereece Farm Buck F., fruit grower, Tre-Evan Fruit Farm ° Scudamore George Sherriff, farmer, Llangarron Court Cotton Henry Geary, farmer, Grove Farm (postal address, Llangrove, Hereford). T.N. 37 Stevens Albert James, blacksmith Dallow George, gardener to Lt. Col. G. B. G. Wood D.S.O. Symonds John, farmer, Upper Field Farm Gane Alfred, farmer, Trecilla Farm Three Horseshoes Public House (Albert Edward Harris) Griffiths Henry L., farmer, Park Mill Tummey Ernest, thrashing machine owner Griffiths John James, Cottage farmer, Lower Butts Webber Charles, farmer, Cabbage farm Hoddinott John, farmer, Upper Park Farm Williams William John, farmer, Tre Essy Farm King's Head P.H. (Robert. Jackson), Llancloudy ° Williams William Samuel, farmer, Trewaugh
LLANGUNNOCK Jorden James, farmer
TRERIBBLE Stent Miss
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1941 in Hereford Central Library]