Extract from Trade Directory of Herefordshire, 1863
Return to top of page [Transcribed by Richard Lane in December 2002
LLANGARRON is a large parish and village, 5 miles south-west from Ross Railway Station, 6 north from Monmouth, 13 south from Hereford, and 127 west from London, in Wormelow hundred, Ross county court district and union, Harewood's End petty sessions, rural deanery of Hentland, and Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated on the Garron Brook, one of the principle tributary branches of the River Wye, and is about 3 miles north of that river. The church of St. Deinst, an old stone building with tower and spire, in the Anglo-Norman style of architecture, has been repaired and enlarged, and contains 475 sittings, 194 of which are free; it has nave, porch, chancel, side aisle, font, and four monuments. The registers date back to 1569. The living is a vicarage, with the chapelry of St. Weonard's, joint annual value £500, and about 30 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Hereford; the Rev. Henry John Potts, B.A., of Trinity College, Cambridge, is the incumbent. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Independent. There is a new National school for boys and girls, the population in 1861 was 1,215; the acreage is 5,605. The soil is sandy and loamy; the subsoil is chiefly sandstone rock. It is in several manors. The Governors of Guy's Hospital, Sir Joseph Bailey, Thomas Mayos, Esq., John Jones, Esq., and Joseph Pearce, Esq., are chief landowners.
LLANGROVE COMMON is a hamlet 1 mile and a half south. A new district church has been recently erected at this place. There is a Wesleyan Chapel at this place.
LLANCLODY is 2 miles west. There is a Wesleyan chapel at this place.
LEWSONJ is 1 mile and a half south-east. The Independent chapel is here.
KILREAGUE, or Kilrhyg, LLANGUNNOCH, LANGSTONE with TREWAN, TRECILLA, and TREDOUGHAN are townships, which have only jurisdiction for highways purposes.
Parish Clerk, John Morris.
LLANGARRON Coke Rev. William, B.A. Garron Cottage Pearce Joseph, esq. Llangarron Court Jones John, esq. J.P. Langstone Court Pearce Mrs. Llangarron Court Marston Rev. William, Woodfield Pinn Rev. J. [Independent], Llangrove Cottage Mayos Miss Mary Pope Richard, esq. Mayos Thomas, esq. Trewaugh Potts Rev. Henry John, B.A. COMMERCIAL Banton William, farmer, Luxton Morgan John, farmer, Tredethen Bennett John, farmer, Thatch Close Morris James, tailor Bennett Michael, carpenter, Pengervace Morris John, carpenter Bird John, farmer, Upper Field Nurse Mary (Mrs.) farmer, Three Ashes Bird John, plasterer Partridge Edward, boot & shoe Maker Carrier Thomas, farmer, Meredith Farm Pearce Joseph, farmer Clark James, cooper, Common Pope Richard, surgeon Coburn John, boot & shoe maker Price William, miller, Trevervan Mill Davis Mrs. farmer Prosser Thomas, miller, Llangstone Mill Davis William, Carpenter, Llanclody Ragband William, mason Dowle Alfred, farmer, Bernithan Court Scudamore Ann, (Mrs.) farmer, Trewen Garness Samuel, boot & shoe maker Scudamore George, farmer, Treworgan Gates Henry, beer retailer & boot & shoe maker Sherriff George, farmer, Tredunnock Gwynne William, farmer, Ash Cottage Street Joseph, farmer, Kilrhyg Harris John, farmer, Black House Symonds Geo. Wheelwright & carpenter Hartland James, farmer, Biddlestone Taylor John, miller, Trerees Mill James Edmund, shopkeeper & carpenter Taylor Thomas, farmer, Hill Farm Jenkins Geo. Wheelwright & carpenter Walters John, farmer, Trevervan Jenkins James, boot & shoe maker Watkins Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Little Bernithan Jones John, shopkeeper Wheale James, blacksmith Keddle Thomas, farmer, Penblaith Wheale Thomas, blacksmith Lewis Humphrey, farmer, Treburnfrey Farm White George, shopkeeper Marfell James, farmer, Grove Farm Williams James, farmer, Park Mill Maxfield John, Three Horseshoes Williams John, farmer, Upper Park Mayos Thomas, farmer, Trewaugh Young Thomas, shopkeeper & blacksmith, Llanclody
LLANGROVE COMMON Burford Elizabeth, (Mrs.), beer retailer Powell George, boot & shoe maker Cook Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper Powell Joseph, boot & shoe maker Hall William, tiler & plasterer Reece William, carpenter Lawrence William, tailor Strong John, boot & shoe maker Mapp John, carpenter Strong Thomas, carpenter Meredith Hannah (Mrs.), beer retailer Taylor George, tiler & plasterer Meredith John, carpenter & wheelwright Watkins William, blacksmith
LLANGUNNOCK Mayos Thomas, farmer, Llangunnock Wheale Henry, blacksmith
TREWAN Assinder William, boot & shoe maker Price Frederick, farmer
TREVERVAN Williams Richard, farmer
TRERIBBLE Drinkwater George, farmer
POST OFFICE.- Eliza Rudge, postmistress. Letters arrive from Ross ay 9.00 a.m.; despatched same time; no evening dispatch. Ross is the nearest money order office.
National School, Mrs. Williams, mistress.
from an original edition of this 1863 Trade Directory in Hereford Central Library]