Lugwardine, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LUGWARDINE, a parish in the hundred of Radlow, county Hereford, 3 miles N.E. of Hereford, its post town, and 11½ N.W. of Ledbury. Hereford is the nearest railway station, whence there are trains to all parts. The parish which includes the township of Hagley, is watered by the river Lug, and the road from Hereford to Worcester passes through the village. The river is here crossed by a stone bridge of three arches. Hops are cultivated, and the manufacture of bricks and encaustic tiles carried on. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Hereford, in the patronage of the dean and chapter.
The parish church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a large ancient structure, with a curiously sculptured heavy tower containing a clock and good peal of bells, and has several stained glass windows. There is also a district church at Long Grove, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value 2100. The parochial charities, including Edwards' £5, distributed to the poor in coals, on the anniversary of the passing of the Reform Bill, produce about £25 per annum. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is a parochial school, with good residence for the teacher. Longworth, Rockfield, and Wilcroft are the principal residences."