Open a form to report problems or contribute information
Madley, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"MADLEY, a parish in the hundred of Webtree, county Hereford, 6 miles W. of Hereford, its post town and nearest railway station, and 17 N.W. of Ross. It is situated on the river Wye. A castle formerly stood here, and at one time there was a market, but it has long since fallen into disuse. Petty sessions are still held in the village. The impropriation belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Hereford, value with the curacy of Tiberton annexed, £608, in the patronage of the dean and chapter.
The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient Norman edifice of stone, with a square embattled tower. The roof is a vaulted one, resting upon pointed arches supported by pillars. It has windows of stained glass, and contains many monuments and a stone font. Beneath the chancel is the ancient crypt. The parochial endowments produce about £27 per annum. There is a National school for boys and girls. The Baptists have a chapel, and there are remains of two ancient crosses."
"BACHO, a village in the parish of Madley and hundred of Webtree, in the county of Hereford, not far from Madley."
"UPPER CUBLINGTON, (and Lower Cublington) two hamlets in the parish of Madley and county of Hereford, 7 miles W. of Hereford."