MORETON-UPON-LUGG, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"MORETON-UPON-LUGG, a parish in the hundred of Grimsworth, county Hereford, 4 miles N. of Hereford, its post town. It is a station on the Hereford and Shrewsbury line of railway. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Lugg, and on the Hereford and Leominster turnpike road. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The soil is of a clayey nature with a subsoil of gravel. The land is partly in hop-grounds with some rich meadow on the banks of the river. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Hereford, value £212, in the patronage of the Prebend of Moreton-Magna. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient stone structure, with a tower containing two bells. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor and sole landowners."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]