Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1913
Return to top of page [Transcribed by Richard Lane in January 2003
PENCOMBE with Grendon Warren form a Parish in the Northern Division of the county, Broxash Hundred, Bromyard Petty Sessional division, Union and county court district, Bromyard rural Deanery and Hereford archdeaconry and diocese. Pencombe is a pleasant village, 4 miles west from Bromyard Station on a branch of the Great Western Railway from Worcester and 6 west from Dinmore Station on the Shrewsbury and Hereford (Great Western and London and North Western joint) Railway and 11 north-east from Hereford. The church of St. John, rebuilt in 1864-65, at a cost of £3,232, is a very edifice of stone, in the Transition Norman style, consisting of apsidal chancel, nave, transept and a tower containing 6 bells. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £320 including 108 acres of glebe land, with residence, in the gift of Mrs. Burrell, and held since 1904 by the Rev. John Seymour St. John B.A. of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, who is also perpetual curate of Marston Stannett. The Rectory House, standing in extensive grounds, is very pleasantly situated half a mile from the church. The reading room was established in 1890, £150 being expended in fitting the interior, which includes billiard and news rooms. By ancient custom the Lord of the Manor claims a pair of gilt spurs when a Mayor of Hereford dies while in office. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are the principle landowners. The soil is clayey; subsoil, partly stone. The chief crops are wheat, beans, oats, clover, and apples. The area is 4,764 acres; rateable value, £3,380, including Marston Stannett; the population in 1911 was 280, including Marston Stannett.
Parish Clerk.- Charles Jones
Post Office.- Mrs. Fanny Bishop, sub-postmistress. Letters through Worcester arrive at 6.40 a.m.; despatched at 5.45 p.m.; no delivery on Sundays. Bredenbury is the nearest money order office & Stoke Lacy, 3 miles distant, the nearest telegraph office.
Wall Letter Box, Rectory, cleared at 5.20 p.m.
MARSTON STANNETT is a chapelry and small hamlet in Pencombe parish, about half a mile south-west from the old road from Leominster to Bromyard, 4½ miles from Fordbridge Station and 6 miles from Leominster. The Chapel, rebuilt 1868, is a small edifice of stone, consisting of chancel and nave and a western turret containing one bell: in the chancel is a stained window. The original chapel was built about 1711 by Mrs. Rogers, sister of the Lord Chief Justice Heley, of Ireland, and was partly endowed by her. The living is a perpetual curacy, net yearly value £72, arising from 45 acres of glebe, in the gift of and held by the rector of Pencombe. Mrs. N. Burrell is lady of the manor, and A. J. Burgoyne esq., and Reginald Wood esq., are chief landowners. The soil is stiff clay; subsoil, marl. The chief crops are wheat, beans and apples.
GRENDON WARREN formerly an extra-parochial place, is now attached to Pencombe.
Public Elementary School (mixed), with house for master, built in 1862, for 120 children; average attendance, 50; Enoch Waldron, master; Mrs E. J. Waldron, mistress
PENCOMBE. Bishop Edwin, St John Rev. John Seymour B.A. (rector), Rectory Bishop George COMMERCIAL Adams Alice (Mrs.), shopkeeper Gibbs John, farmer, Glebe Farm Bemand Alfred, farmer, New House Jenkins Arthur, beer retailer Bishop Albert Edward, farmer, The Nash Jones Benj. Jun. Farmer, Stone Farm Bishop Charles, shopkeeper, Post Office Jones Benjamin, Burghope Inn, farmer & landowner & assistant overseer for Pencombe, Stoke lacy, Ullingswick, Bredenbury, Wacton & Moreton Jeffries: good accommodation for cyclists & tourists Brown George, farmer, Gt. Egdon Farm Jones Brothers, farmers, Mill Farm Colley Albert Richard, blacksmith Morgan Charles & George, farmers, Court Farm Colley John, farmer, Barnstone Farm Parker Thomas, farmer, Upper Sidnal Compton James, farmer, Maidenhead Pencombe Reading Room Crump Thomas, farmer, Sparrington Powell John, farmer, Holly Grove Davies Joseph, farmer, Durstone (letters through Bromyard Thomas John, farmer, Hennerwood Davies Sidney, farmer, Marsh Court Wilkins Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer, Wootton Farm Eckley John, farmer, Church House Woodhouse John Ricketts, farmer, Day House (letters through Bredenbury)
GRENDON WARREN Hamer John, farmer, Grendon Court Winney Frederick, farmer, Lower Egdon
MARSTON STANNETT Burgoyne Frank, farmer, Lower Marston Riley Brothers, farmers, Great Marston
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1913 in Hereford Central Library]