Pencombe, Herefordshire

Extract from Post Office Directory of Herefordshire, 1863

Transcription by Barbara Haner © 2004

PENCOMBE.

PENCOMBE is a parish and village, 4 miles west from Bromyard (its post town), 6 west from Dinmore railway station, and 11 from Hereford, in Broxash hundred, Bromyard union and county court district, Frome deanery, and Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric. The church (name not known) is a very ancient and remarkable building in the Norman style; the tower (of stone) was rebuilt in 1840, and contains 3 bells; it has nave, a chancel, apse, porch, an ancient font, and three modern tablets. The register dates from 1565. The living is a rectory, worth £490 yearly, with residence and 119 acres of glebe land, in the gift of John H. Arkwright, Esq., and held by the Rev. George Arkwright, M.A., of Oriel College, Oxford. There is a Sunday and Day school for boys and girls, supported by the rector. The Rectory House is very pleasantly situated, half a mile from the church. The population in 1861 was 415; the acreage is 3,955. The soil is clayey; the subsoil partly stone. John H. Arkwright, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The chief crops are wheat, beans, oats, and clover. A court leet is held at the Court-house once in three years; and by an ancient custom the lord of the manor claims a pair of gilt spurs when a mayor of Hereford dies while in office.

GRENDON WARREN is an extra-parochial place, sometimes returned as a parish, and which contained a population in 1861 of 33; the area is 635 acres.

MARSTON CHAPEL, or Marston Stannett, is a chapelry and small hamlet, 6 miles east from Leominster market town and railway station, 17 from Hereford, and 6 from Bromyard, in Broxash hundred, and Bromyard union; it is situated about midway on the old turnpike road from Leominster to Bromyard. The living is a perpetual curacy, worth £80 yearly, with 40 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the rector of the parish of Pencombe, and is held by the Rev. Henry Cooper. The population in 1861 was 29; the acreage is 520. The soil is a stiff clay; the subsoil is marl. John H. Arkwright, Esq., is lord of the manor and Thomas Davies and John Wood Esqrs., are chief landowners.

Parish Clerk, Richard Hall.


PENCOMBE.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Arkwright Rev. George, M.A., Rectory
Burroughes Rev. Robert, M.A. [curate]
Jordan Mrs., Copyland

COMMERCIAL.

Banford Thomas, wheelwright
Bishop Benj., farmer, Pencombe mill
Britten William, farmer, Upper Egdon
Cotton John, farmer, Gasbadge
Crockett Samuel, farmer, Baldhurst
Goode William, farmer, Court house
Griffiths John, farmer, The Nash
Grosvenor John, farmer, Fishpool
Gurney Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Gurney James, blacksmith
Harris George, farmer, New house
Herring Henry, farmer, Day house
Jones Benjamin, beer retailer
Lawrence Charles, beer retailer
Mapp William, Huntsman inn
Mason Edmund, farmer, Brook house
Mason Nicholas, farmer, Betterley hyde
Nicholas John, farmer, Little Hegdon
Oliver Richard, farmer, Banstone
Parker William, farmer, Upper Sidnal
Perry Thomas, shoemaker
Taylor Charles, farmer, Wootton
Turville John, blacksmith
Williams Richard, farmer, Marsh court
Wilson William, farmer, Grendon court
Winney John, farmer, Maidenhide

MARSTON CHAPEL.

COMMERCIAL.

Brassington Daniel, farmer
Holloway Joseph, farmer

Day School, Miss Emma Cox, mistress

Letters through Bromyard, which is the nearest money order office.

Top Return to top of page

[Transcribed by Barbara E. Haner in December 2004
from a personal copy of Post Office Directory of Herefordshire, 1863]

URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/HEF/Pencombe/PostOffice1863.html