PIPE-CUM-LYDE, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"PIPE-CUM-LYDE, a parish in the hundred of Grimsworth, county Hereford, 2½ miles N. of Hereford, its post-town, and 1½ mile from the river Lugg. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the turnpike road leading from Hereford to Leominster and Shrewsbury. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The land is partly in hop grounds. The soil is of a clayey and gravelly nature. Stone is quarried for building purposes. The great tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £150 and the vicarial for £240; the appropriate glebe comprises 42 acres. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford, value £260, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient stone structure with a square tower, crowned with a wooden spire, and containing four bells. The interior of the church contains several marble monuments. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. There is a free school, entirely supported by the vicar." "LYDE, a township in the parish of Pipe cum Lyde, hundred of Grimsworth, county Hereford, 3 miles N. of Hereford. It was once a separate parish."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]