SELLACK, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"SELLACK, a parish in the upper division of Wormelow hundred, county Hereford, 3½ miles N.W. of Ross, its post town, and 2 S.W. of Fawley railway station. The village, which is irregularly built, is situated in a deep valley on the navigable river Wye, and is chiefly agricultural. The soil consists of good earth upon a substratum of red sandstone. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £320, and the vicarial for £140. The glebe comprises 95 acres. The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of King's Caple annexed, in the diocese of Hereford, value £420, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Teseliachus, or Tesiliah, has a tower surmounted by a spire and containing five bells. The interior of the church contains monuments of the Pengethley family, also a stained E. window. The parochial charities produce about £23 per annum. There is a parochial school for both sexes. Pengethley House is the principal residence. Sir Hungerford Hoskyns, Bart., of Harewood House, is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]