Stanford Bishop, Herefordshire
Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1879
Return to top of page [Transcribed by Richard Lane in January 2003
STANFORD BISHOP is a parish consisting entirely of scattered dwellings, 3 miles south-east from Bromyard, 14 from Hereford, and 10 from Ledbury, in Broxash union, Bromyard Union and county court district, Frome rural deanery and Hereford archdeaconry and diocese; situated on the turnpike road from Bromyard to Malvern, on the Worcestershire border. The church of St. James is a stone building, having chancel and nave, with large but low square tower and two bells and porch: The chancel was restored in 1867: the church is situate on a pleasant eminence, near the centre of the parish. The register dates from 1750. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £85, in the gift of the Bishop of Hereford and held by the Rev. John Booth B.A. of Queens College, Cambridge, who resides at the Firs, near Bromyard. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor, R. Hill, Esq., M.P. William Barneby, Esq. and the trustees of the Worcester municipal charities and the trustees of the late Rev. W. Wall, are chief landowners. The soil is clayey and loamy; subsoil, clay and rock. The chief crops are hops, apples and pears, wheat, beans and oats. Cider and perry are made here; also bricks and draining pipes. The area is 1,471 acres; rateable value, £2,082; the population in 1871 was 237.
Parish Clerk.- Henry Hall
Letters from Worcester via Bromyard, which is the nearest money order office.
Allkins Henry, beer retailer & farmer, Woodford Common Hill John, farmer, Woodford Common. Badham John, shoe ma. Woodford Common Hughes Richard, farmer, Boyce Bidewell Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Hill Oak Jenkins John, Woolner Hill Bishop Thomas, beer & cider retailer, Woodford Common Meredith John, farm bailiff to George Essex, esq. Stanford Court Buckle John, farmer & hop grower, Hyde Mitton James, shopkeeper & coal retailer, Woodford Common Cook John, farmer, Hope Philpott James, Hawkins Crump Sarah (Mrs.), farmer, Lower Ho. Saunders Joseph, farmer, Woodford Common Hill James, blacksmith, Woodford Co.
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1879 in Hereford Central Library]