TRETIRE-WITH-MICHAEL-CHURCH, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"TRETIRE-WITH-MICHAEL-CHURCH, a parish in the lower division of Wormelow hundred, county Hereford, 5½ miles W. of Ross, its railway station and post town, and 8 N. of Monmouth. The village is situated on a branch of the river Wye, and on the Ross and Abergavenny road. The soil is of a sandy and loamy nature, with a subsoil of rock. The living is a rectory* annexed to that of Michael Church, in the diocese of Hereford, value £182. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, was rebuilt in 1856. There are several old tombs in the churchyard, and a sun-dial of great antiquity. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. There is a free school supported by the Rev. J. Webb. Sir H. Hoskyns, Bart., is lord of the manor." "MICHAEL CHURCH, a parish in the hundred of Lower Wormelow, county Hereford, 1½ mile N. of Tretire, to which parish it is joined, and 5 miles N.W. of Ross, its post town. The village, which is inconsiderable, is situated in a valley, and is watered by the Garran Brook. The inhabitants are wholly engaged in agriculture. The land in general is of inferior quality, the soil being a stony loam, alternated by a red clayey earth. The Black mountains are seen at a distance of about 3 miles. Stone is quarried of a light green colour. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £22. The living is a rectory annexed to that of St. Margaret's, Tretire, in the diocese of Hereford, joint value £182. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient stone structure, with a small belfry containing two bells."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]