We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Walford, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"WALFORD, a parish in the hundred of Greytree, county Hereford, 3 miles S.W. of Ross, its post town, and 7 N.E. of Monmouth. The village is situated on the river Wye. The soil is clayey, sandy, and loamy, with a subsoil of clay, rock, and red brick earth. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Hereford, value £218, in the patronage of the Bishop of Worcester. The church is dedicated to St. Leonard. There is also the district church of All Saints at Bishopswood, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £35. The parochial charities produce about £20 per annum. There are also some almshouses. There is a free school for both sexes situated at Bishop's Wood. The Wesleyans and Baptists have each a chapel. Bishop's Wood House, Hill Court, Old Hill, and White Hall are the principal residences. Captain K. M. Power is lord of the manor."
"COUGHTON, a hamlet in the parish of Walford, in the county of Hereford, 2 miles S. of Ross: It is situated near the river Wye. The church is in ruins."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]