Open a form to report problems or contribute information
Welsh Bicknor, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"WELSH BICKNOR, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Skenfreth, in the county of Hereford, 8 miles to the N.E. of Monmouth. Ross is its post town. It is situated on the river Wye, which surrounds it on three sides, and once formed part of the Marches. Until recently it was included in the county of Monmouth, and is still designated Welsh, to distinguish it from English Bickner, which lies opposite to it. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Hereford, value £169, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to St. Margaret, and contains a curious ancient chalice. Near the village is Courtfield, the country residence at which, according to tradition, King Henry V. was nursed by the Countess of Salisbury."
"RAVEN'S CLIFF, a spot on the Wye, in the parish of Welsh Bicknor, county Hereford, near Bicknor."