Welsh Newton, Herefordshire
Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1929
Return to top of page [Transcribed by Richard Lane in January 2003
WELSH NEWTON is a Parish on the Hereford and Monmouth road, 3½ miles north from Monmouth Station, on the Great Western Railway and 8 south west from Ross, in the Southern Division of the county, Wormelow Hundred, Monmouth union and county court district, Harewood End Petty Sessional division, rural deanery of Archenfield and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The Parish extends in to Monmouthshire. The church of St. Mary is a plain but ancient building of stone in the Norman style, consisting of chancel nave, south porch and a small western tower containing 2 bells: The screen is 12th century, lit by a 14th century dormer window: the roof is 14th century; the stained east window was presented by Mrs. Marriot, in 1879, and there are memorial windows to Mrs. Tylor, of Callow Hill, who died in 1881. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1798; marriages, 1758; burials, 1800. The living is a vicarage, with the rectory of Llanrothal annexed in 1927, joint net yearly value £300, in the gift of the Bishop of Hereford; and held since 1928 by the Rev. Frank Cape. There is a Primitive Methodist Chapel on Newton Common. Pembridge Castle, built prior to the 13th century, is now a farmhouse. This historic castle was purchased by the present owner, Dr. Hedley Bartlet, and partially restored in 1914; It was the home for many years of the priest and martyr Father John Kemble (d. 1679), whose tomb pilgrims visit in the village churchyard; his hand is preserved in a shrine at Hereford. John Brawn esq. is Lord of the Manor. The soil is loamy; subsoil, clay and rock. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, turnips and fruit. The area is 1,943 acres; population in 1901, 102.
Letters from Monmouth. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Llangarron.
The Glos. Mon. & Hereford (Red & White) Service run from Monmouth, daily
PRIVATE RESIDENTS Cape Rev. Frank (Vicar), Pembridge House Thorneycroft Miss, Yewtree Cottage Hill Capt. Dunlop, The Callow Wakley Miss Thursa, The Quab Jones James, Shobdon House COMMERCIAL Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over Clarke James, farmer, Temperance House Matthews Alfred, blacksmith Davies John, Henry, farmer, Broom Farm Miller Arthur George, shopkeeper Green Walter E. farm bailiff to dr. H. Bartlett, Pembridge Castle Pritchard James & Ernest, farmers, Elephant & castle Haile Richard, farmer, Trefassy (postal address, Llangrove, near Ross) Probert Richard Price, The Beeches Jones Henry, farmer, Mill farm Rogers George, cottage farmer, Common Gate Jones John Morgan, farmer, Gwenherion ° Scrivens William, farmer, Newton Lodge Lane David, farmer, Glascwm ° Turner Albert, farmer, farmer, Tremahaide
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1929 in Hereford Central Library]