Welsh Newton, Herefordshire
Extract from Trade Directory of Herefordshire, 1863
Return to top of page [Transcribed by Richard Lane in December 2002
WELSH NEWTON is a parish and village, 8 miles south-west from Ross Railway Station, 3½ north from Monmouth, 14½ south from Hereford, and 129 from London, in Wormelow hundred, Monmouth union, Harewood End petty Sessional division, rural deanery of Archenfield, and Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated on the Hereford and Monmouth road, on the borders of Monmouthshire, and part of the parish is in that county. The church of St. Mary is a plain old stone building, with small tower in the Norman style, in good repair; it has nave, porch, chancel, font, and 2 bells. The living is a rectory, value £47 yearly, in the gift of W. R. Jenkins, Esq.; the Rev. H. Prosser is the incumbent. There is a chapel for Wesleyans on Newton Common. The population in 1861 was 226; the acreage is 1,821. The soil is loamy; the subsoil is clay and rock. Sir Joseph Bailey is chief landowner.
NEWTON COMMON, CATLOW, PEMBRIDGE CASTLE, GREATHOUSE, SUMMER HOUSE, MILL FARM, TREMAHAID, and GWENHERION, are places here.
Parish Clerk, James Silvey
Bartrum John, farmer Meredith Joseph, shopkeeper Davis Jas. Stonemason, Newton Cottage Powell Edward, Elephant & Castle Davis John, farmer Silvey James, boot & shoe maker & parish clerk Evans William, farmer, Gwenherion Simmonds William, Red Lion Frances Thomas, farmer Taylor Michael, farmer, Tremahaid George Timothy, boot & shoe maker Wells John, blacksmith Kettle Thomas, farmer, Pembridge Castle Wheeler Jane, (Mrs.), farmer, Catlow Hill Lock George, farmer, Greathouse
POST OFFICE - John Wells, postmaster. Letters arrive from Monmouth at 9 a.m.; despatched at 9.45 a.m. The nearest money order office is Monmouth
from an original edition of this 1863 Trade Directory in Hereford Central Library]