"About two miles and a half N.N.E. from Watford, and in the same hundred, is the village of Aldenham
. The parish is extensive, and the employment of most of the inhabitants is agricultural. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is in the early English architectural style, built of flint and rubble, with a tower at its western end; the interior is remarkably neat, and enshrines some handsome monuments: the benefice is a vicarage, of which Lord Rendlesham is patron, and the Rev. Edward Benbow the present incumbent. A free school for boys and girls, and some alms-houses, are the principal charities. Population of the parish, by the returns for 1831, 1,491."
[From Royal National and Commercial Directory and Topography of Herts
, Pigot & Co., London, 1839]
"ALDENHAM (2 miles SW. from Radlett Station M.R.) is a village pleasantly situated near the river Colne, reached by way of Berry Grove at the W. end of the village. The churchyard is locally famous for the tombs of a man and woman named Hutchinson, which, singularly enough, have been riven apart and almost destroyed by three sycamore trees about a century old. The Church of St. John the Baptist is largely Perp. with earlier portions, and is worth a visit, if only for the oaken nave-roof, believed to date from about 1480, and for the font of Purbeck marble, probably 750 years old. An object of greater interest in some eyes is the fine parish chest, formed from one massive piece of oak nearly ten feet in length, and furnished with iron clamps and hinges of great size; there are few finer old parish chests in Fngland. Note also (1) the triple sedilia in chancel;(2) the many brasses dating from 1450, several of which are to the Cary family ; (3) two palimpsest brasses in the vestry, one of which bears a portion of a mutilated inscription to one Long, an alderman of London, who died in 1536. The church was restored in 1882 by Sir A. W. Blomfield, F.S.A.
"Aldenham House, the seat of Lord Aldenham, dates from the days of Charles II., and stands in a park of about 300 acres.
"Aldenham Abbey, once known as Wall Hall, stands close to the parish church ; it is about a century old, and belongs to the Stuart family."
[From Hertfordshire - Little Guide 1903
, Methuen & Co., London, 1903]