Geographical and Historical information from the year 1932.
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[from The Victoria County History series - 1932]
"ABBOTSLEY, there is no mention of Abbotsley in the Domesday survey of 1086. It seemed to have formed into a separate township during the first half of the 12th century when it then had a separate church.
The parish of Abbotsley is mostly about 100 ft above ordnance datum. The sub-soil is Oxford and Ampthill clay. A stream, called the Abbotsley Brook, joins a feeder of the River Ouse and for for a short distance formed the county boundary of Huntingdonshire. The parish was inclosed under a private Act of Parliament in 1836.
The village lies along the road from Great Gransden to St Neots about 4.5 miles from Gamlingay. Originally there were many 17th century half-timbered cottages with thatched or tiled roofs, some still surviving."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from The Victoria County History series- 1932]