[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"ALWALTON, a parish in the hundred of Normancross, in the county of Huntingdon, 4 miles to the south-west of Peterborough, and 3 from the Wansford railway station. The river Non passes through it. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £200, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Peterborough. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. The Norman and early English styles are found singularly combined in the body of the church. It has a decorated chancel, and a fine porch. Alwalton once belonged to the monks of Peterborough. The parochial charities amount to £5. Alwalton Castle is the chief residence."
The full 1841 Census of Alwalton Parish is available as fiche set C82.
The full 1851 Census of Alwalton Parish is available as fiche set C32.
An index of surnames in the 1851 Census of the Peterborough Registration District (HO107/1747) in which Alwalton was enumerated (Folios 4B - 14), and which took place on 30th March 1851, has also been produced by the Peterborough & District FHS.
The Index is available in either microfiche or A5 booklet form. Please state which version you want. The Census is available from Mr G Harbron, 7 Newby Close, Peterborough PE3 6PU, England.
A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Stilton sub-District of the Peterborough Registration District (RG12/1225) in which Alwalton was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, has also been produced by the Huntingdonshire FHS (as Fiche C-15).
The church of St. Andrew consists of a chancel, crossing, north transept, south transept, nave, north aisle, south aisle, tower and a 19th century south porch. The walls are of stone rubble with Barnack stone dresings except for the clearstory which is faced externally with brick and is plastered. The roofs are covered with lead and slates.
The church is not mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086 but, by the end of the 12th century, there was a stone church with a north aisle - parts of which still remain. The church was lengthened one bay to the west early in the 13th century, when the nave must have been considerably widened, and a south aisle and west tower built.
About 1300 it was apparently contemplated to rebuild the church. A large chancel with north and south transepts, all vaulted in stone, were built with probably the lower part of a central tower. About 30 years later, however, the project was abandoned. The walls of the cntral tower were pulled down, and a wide arch was thrown across the nave in place of the western arch. The walls of the chancel and transepts were finished with a plain quoine at their intersections.
In the 15th century, the nave walls were raised to form a clearstory, and both aisles were reroofed. Possibly at this time, or a little later, a chancel arch was inserted and wide arches built between the crossing and the transepts; the vaulting of the chancel and transepts was destroyed.
In 1840-41, the church was restored, the chancel arch rebuilt and the south porch added. The roofs were all renewed and the south-east corner of the belfry rebuilt. The tower was underpinned and thoroughly restored in 1902-3, and the rest of the church in 1904-5.
The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
Alwalton was originally in the Peterbrough Registration District of Northamptonshire from 1st July 1837. Subsequently it was transferred to the Stilton sub-District of Huntingdonshire. It was later transferred back to the Peterborough District.
From 1st April 1998, marriage records were transferred to the Huntingdon Registry Office, but the births and burial records were retained by Peterborough.