[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"BARHAM, a parish in the hundred of Leightonstone, in the county of Huntingdon, 7 miles to the north-west of Huntingdon. Kimbolton is its post town. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ely, of the value of £58, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Giles. The parochial charities amount to £8."
The full 1841 Census of Barham Parish is available as fiche set C104.
The full 1851 Census of Barham Parish is available as fiche set C54.
A Surname Index of the 1881 Census of the Huntingdon Registration District, in which Barham was enumerated (RG11/1602, Folios 52a - 53b), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available, as fiche set C3.
A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Spaldwick sub-District of the Huntingdon Registration District (RG12/1236) in which Barham was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, has also been produced by the Huntingdonshire FHS (as Fiche C8).
The church of St. Giles consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle and south porch. The walls are of pebble rubble mixed with stones, and with stone dressings, but the south wall of the nave is of rough ashlar. The roofs are covered with tiles.
The church is not mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086; it was probably first built late in the 12th century. About the year 1300, the chancel and chancel arch were rebuilt. Somewhat late in the 14th century, new windows were inserted in the walls of the nave and, probably at this time, the eastern arch of the arcade was rebuilt and widened towards the east - the responds being reset.
The church was restored around 1850 when he porch and north wall of the aisle were rebuilt, and a bell-cote built on the west gable. The west wall was restored and the porch rebuilt again in 1903, and the chancel restored in 1909.
The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.