[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"BLUNTISHAM, a parish in the hundred of Hurstingstone, in the county of
Huntingdon, 4 miles to the north-east of St. Ive's, its post town. It is situated
on the borders of Cambridgeshire, on the west bank of the river Ouse, and
includes the village of Earith. The manor belonged to the monks of Ely
before the Norman Conquest, and part of it is still held by the dean and
chapter. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, of the yearly
value of £1,070, in the patronage of the Bishop of Peterborough. The church
stands on elevated ground, commanding a wide prospect over the rich meadow
lands and the river. It is dedicated to St. Mary, and is in the early
English style of architecture, containing a screen, piscina, and an
octagonal font. Here is also a neat marble monument to Dr. Samuel Knight,
who once held the rectory, and was the author of the biographies of Erasmus
and Dean Colet. Dr. Knight died here in 1746. There are chapels belonging
to the General and Particular Baptists, Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists,
and Quakers in the town, and a free school founded in 1708, which has an
income from endowment of about £88 per annum. The other charitable
endowments of the parish-the principal of which is the estate held by
feoffees for the benefit of the poor-produce about £140 a year. In
September, 1741, this place was visited by a destructive storm of wind,
which lasted nearly a quarter of an hour and did fearful havoc in the
village. It also touched upon Cambridge, Downham, and Lynn, at the latter
place injuring St. Margaret's church.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
"EARITH, a chapelry in the parish of Bluntisham, hundred of Hurstingstone,
county Huntingdon, 6 miles north-east of St. Ives, its post town, and 3 south-east
Somersham. The village is situated on the navigable river Ouse, near the
border of the county, and is a place of considerable trade. The
chapel-of-ease, dedicated to St. James, has been demolished. The Baptists
and Wesleyans have each a chapel, and the Friends a meeting-house. There is
a school for boys, founded in 1703 by John Skeeles, with an endowment of
£50 per annum. An industrial school for girls has an endowment of £16 per
annum. The town lands produce a rental of £50, which is applied to the
repair of a bridge and other public works. To the east of the village is a
rectangular encampment called Earith Bulwarks, with bastions at each
corner. Fairs are held on the 4th May, 25th July, and 1st November, chiefly
by Colin Hinson ©2010
- Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891)is held in the
Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Bluntisham-cum-Earith Parish is available in fiche format as Fiche Set C83.
- The full 1851 Census of Bluntisham-cum-Earith Parish is available in fiche format as Fiche Set C33.
- A surname index of the 1881 Census of the St. Ives Registration District, in which Bluntisham
(Folios 51a - 65b) and Earith (Folios 69a - 80b) were enumerated, and which took place on 3rd
April 1881, is available as Fiche C4.
- A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Somersham sub-District of the St. Ives
Registration District (RG12/1239) in which Bluntisham and Earith were enumerated, and
which took place on 5th April 1891, has also been produced by the Huntingdonshire FHS
(as Fiche C-11).
- The fiche sets mentioned above are available from the
- St. Giles's Church, Bluntisham.
- The Baptist Church, Bluntisham.
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- OS Grid Square TL 374744.
- The church of St Mary is located in Bluntisham; it consists of a chancel, north vestry,
nave, north aisle, south aisle, west tower, and north and south porches. The walls are
of rubble with stone and clunch dressing, and the roofs are covered with tiles and lead.
- Of the church mentioned in the
and the Domesday survey of 1086, nothing now remains. The earliest parts of the existing
building are the chancel with its north vestry or chapel, built about 1330, and the west
tower, built about 1370-1380.
- In about 1450, the nave and aisles were rebuilt, the aisles being extended to the west wall
of the tower, the side walls being pierced with arches and the chancel arch rebuilt. The
south porch was built at the same time as the aisles, but the north porch was added slightly
later as is shown by the plinth of the aisle running through the porch wall.
- The church was restored in 1850 when the chancel was much altered, the north wall and vestry
being largely rebuilt and a gallery removed. The west tower was restored in 1903-1905, the
south aisle in 1904, and other works occurred in 1912-1913.
- These are available in the
Huntingdon Records Office.
- Baptisms: 1538-1641/2, 1586-1649, 1649-1650, 1705-1767, 1768-1812, 1813-1842, 1842-1921
- Banns: 1754-1801, 1801-1823
- Marriages: 1538/9-1641, 1587-1649, 1649-1650, 1705-1754, 1754-1801, 1801-1823,
1837-1931, 1931-1941, 1941-1951, 1951-1960, 1960-1975
- Burials: 1538-1641/2, 1585-1646, 1649-1650, 1705-1767, 1768-1812, 1813-1919
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1604-6, 1608-9, 1612, 1618-19, 1621, 1625, 1627, 1632,
1680/1692-6, 1704-10, 1714-16, 1718, 1720, 1722-57/1754-64, 1768-1812/1813-20/1825-9, 1833-34
- The Bluntisham-cum-Earith Parish Registers of St Mary's (baptisms, marriages and burials) 1538-1918, on 7 microfiche, are available from the
Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes
include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the
- The Minute Books for the Bluntisham Non-Conformist Church Meeting House (1786-1940) and the
Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes
which include marriages from this parish, (and which are at present, issued in
alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754) are both available from
- The united parish of Bluntisham-cum-Earith was originally in the Registration District of St Ives from 1st July 1837. Subsequently the parish came under the Registration sub-District of Somersham. Since 1st April 1997, it has been in the Registration District of Huntingdon.
The war memorial with detailed information about those who fell is available on the Roll of Honour site for Huntingdonshire.
- Bluntersham (x - xiii cent.),
- Blondesham (xiv cent.),
- Blunsham (xvi cent.)
- Herhethe (xii cent.),
- Erhuth (xiv cent.),
- Earythe (xvi cent.).
- Bluntisham-cum-Earith was in the St. Ives Union for Poor Law administration.
- Births and deaths registered in the St Ives Union Workhouse (1836 - 1913) are
available as fiche set D9 from the
The population of the two villages was kept separate for civil purposes, except for the period 1881 to 1951 when the figures for both were combined under Bluntisham.
- Population in 1801 - 460 (Bluntisham) and 362 (Earith)
- Population in 1851 - 760 (Bluntisham) and 790 (Earith)
- Population in 1901 - 950 (Bluntisham and Earith)
- Population in 1951 - 499 (Bluntisham) and 634 (Earith)
- Population in 1971 - 654 (Bluntisham) and 899 (Earith)
- Population in 1991 - 1610 (Bluntisham) and 1643 (Earith)
This page was originally generated by Ian Argall maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014