Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"BRAMPTON, a parish in the hundred of Leightonstone, in the county of Huntingdon, 1 mile to the west of Huntingdon, its post town. It lies on the west side of the river Ouse. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, of the value of £160, in the patronage of the Bishop of Ely. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. It is partly in the perpendicular style of architecture, and has a beautiful porch on the south side. It contains a monument to Sir John Barnard, Bart., of Brampton Park, who died in 1679.
The charitable endowments of the parish are worth £16 a year. Brampton was the birthplace (1632) of Samuel Pepys, author of the well-known "Diary." He filled the office of Secretary to the Admiralty, and was elected President of the Royal Society in 1684. Brampton Park is the seat of Lady Olivia B. Sparrow. The mansion was rebuilt in 1820, and contains several interesting portraits of the St. John family."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- Monumental Inscriptions for Brampton parish church have not yet been recorded by the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Brampton Parish is available as fiche set C84.
- The full 1851 Census of Brampton Parish is available as fiche set C34.
- A surname index of the 1881 Census of the Huntingdon Registration District, in which Brampton was enumerated (RG11/1603, Folios 4a - 32b), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as Fiche C3.
- A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Huntingdon Registration District (RG12/1237) in which Brampton was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, is available as fiche set C9.
- All the above emntioned fiche sets are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- OS Grid Square TL 216707.
- The Church of St Mary Magdalene or St Mary the Virgin (as it was once called), consists of a chancel with a north vestry, nave, north aisle, south aisle, west tower and north and south porches. The walls are of rubble with stone dressing, except those of the tower and west walls of the aisle which are of ashlar.
- The church is mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086 but, with the exception of a few pieces of the 12th cent. chevron-ornament built into the tower walls, no part of the church is earlier than the 14th cent. The chancel, with part of the east wall of the vestry was built in the early years of the 16th cent. The west tower is dated 1635, probably replacing one of the 14th cent; the western bay of the north clearstory, the western principal of the nave roof and much of the facing of the west walls of the aisles were rebuilt at the same time. The south porch was rebuilt in 1828. The church was repaired and repewed in 1835 when the pulpit was removed from the second column on the north to the north side of the chancel arch.
- A thorough restoration took place in 1877-78 when the south porch was again rebuilt and the gallery of the west end removed. The vestry was rebuilt before 1851 and was enlarged in 1897.
- There was a church and priest at Brampton in 1086, and the advowson followed the descent of the prebendal manor. It continued in the prebendaries of Brampton until the 19th cent. The benefice was transferred from the Diocese of Lincoln to that of Ely in 1839, and the lands of the prebend were vested in the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1848. The patronage passed to the Bishop of Ely in whose gift it remained. The Living was made a rectory about 1875.
- The following are available in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- Baptisms: 1618-1627, 1653-1851 (both indexed), Register transcriptions 1852-1930.
- Banns: 1756-1759, 1791-1802, 1824-1849 (all three indexed), 1783-1794, 1795-1912, 1823-1888, 1888-1914 (fragile), 1915-1950, 1950-1961, 1961-1971, 1971-1979, 1979-1986.
- Marriages: 1618-1627, 1675-1851 (both indexed), Register transcriptions: 1852-1942, 1942-1955, 1955-1966, 1967-1972, 1972-1979, 1979-1984, 1984-1992.
- Burials: 1618-1627, 1658-1851 (both indexed), register transcriptions 1852-1940, 1940-1979.
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1618-19, 1625-6, 1813-19, 1821-3/1824-37, 1854.
- The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Brampton has been in the Registration District of Huntingdon since 1st July 1837.
- A GENWEB page for Brampton is available.
- The war memorial with detailed information about those who fell is available on the Roll of Honour site for Huntingdonshire.
- Brantune (xi cent.),
- Bramptone (xii-xiii cent.),
- Brampton (xiii cent.)
- The parish of Brampton was part of the Huntingdon Union for Poor Law administration.
- Births and Deaths registered in the Huntingdon Union Workhouse (1838 - 1949) are available as fiche set D10, from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Population in 1801 - 780
- Population in 1851 - 1281
- Population in 1901 - 1020
- Population in 1951 - 1718
- Population in 1961 - 3068
- Population in 1981 - 4347
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Brampton which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL211708 (Lat/Lon: 52.321911, -0.224600), Brampton which are provided by: