Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"BRAMPTON, a parish in the hundred of LEIGHTONSTONE, county of HUNTINGDON, 2 miles (W. by S.) from Huntingdon, containing 1064 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Huntingdon, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's qooks at £8. 1. 4., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Prebendary of Brampton in the Cathedral. Church of Lincoln. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is partly in the decorated, and partly in the later, style of English architecture, with a fine south porch, enriched with elegant tracery. Samuel Pepys, Esq.., secretary to the Admiralty in the reigns of Charles II. and James II., and elected President of the Royal Society in 1684, was born here; his Memoirs, comprising his diary from 1659 to 1669, with a biographical sketch by Lord Braybrooke were published, in two vols. 4to., in 1825."
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]