Geographical and Historical information from the year 1932.
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[from The Victoria County History series - 1932]
"BRAMPTON, the parish of Brampton was once thought to have been a medieval borough. It adjoins Huntingdon on the south-west. The greater part of the parish is grassland, and the arable land produces cereals and roots. The soil is gravel and the sub-soil is clay.
Formerly, the higher part of the parish was forest but there are now less than 300 acres of woodland. The River Ouse forms the eastern boundary and the Alconbury Brook forms the northern boundary. Another brook, which rises about the middle of the parish, flows eastward through the parish into the River Ouse. The land between the two brooks, and that adjoining the Ouse, is low lying, being about 33 ft. above sea-level, but the ground rises towards the south west boundary where it reaches 164 ft.
The Great North Road forks as it enters the parish from St Neots to the south. The Huntingdon to Thrapston road passes through the parish crossing the Great North Road. At the crossing formerly stood an inn called Brampton Hut, which had earlier been known as Creamer's Hut which was well-known in coaching days. There was an inclosure award on the parish in 1772
The village is large and rather straggling running along the siding High Street in a westly direction. The northern part of the village is called Bell End, and the southern part is called Bridge End (from a bridge over a brook). The Church stands on the eastern side of the road to Bell End."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from The Victoria County History series- 1932]