[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"BROUGHTON, a parish in the hundred of Hurstingstone, in the county of Huntingdon, 5 miles to the north-east of Huntingdon. It is watered by a small stream, a branch of the river Nen. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, of the value of £283, in the patronage of the Rev. T. Johnston. The church is dedicated to All Saints."
The full 1841 Census of Broughton Parish is available in fiche format as Fiche Set C85.
The full 1851 Census of Broughton Parish is available in fiche format as Fiche Set C35.
A surname index of the 1881 Census of the St. Ives Registration District, in which Broughton was enumerated (RG11/1605, Folios 4a - 11a), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as fiche set C4.
A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Warboys sub-District of the St. Ives Registration District (RG12/1238) in which Broughton was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, has also been produced by the Huntingdonshire FHS (as Fiche C-10).
The church of All Saints is built of rubble with Barnack stone dressings. It consists of a north vestry, nave, north aisle, south aisle and west tower. There is now nothing remaining of the church which existed here in the times of the Domesday survey of 1086. A 12th century church, of which alone there remains the plinth below the chancel arch and a small portion of wall on either side, probably consisted of a chancel and nave only.
It is possible that the claim to the church, which was relinquished by Osbert de Broughton between 1120 and 1130, was due to his having rebuilt the church or, at all events, the chancel whilst he was the Abbot of Ramsey's tenant at Broughton.
There was a schedule for rebuilding the church in the 13th century. In 1252 it was stated that the altar had been moved and had not since been dedicated. The moving of the altar may indicate a rebuilding of the chancel at this time although the architecture suggests a slightly later date. The work of rebuilding, which took place in the latter half of the 13th century and the early part of the 14th century was gradually continued from the chancel to the nave, aisles and tower, and to the south porch.
Early in the 16th century, there was a further scheme for reconstruction of the church. The tower and north aisles were rebuilt, the clearstory added and new windows were inserted in the south aisle; contributions towards the cost of this work are recorded in a Will of 1528 when it is assumed work was in progress. In 1845, the north vestry was added and the chancel roof was renewed. The nave was restored and reseated in 1888-9.
The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
Broughton was originally in the St. Ives Registration District from 1st July 1837. Subsequently, it was in the Warboys sub-District. From 1st April 1997, it comes directly under the Huntingdon Registration District.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Broughton which are provided by:
The parish of Broughton was in the St Ives Union for Poor Law administration. Births and deaths registered in the St Ives Union Workhouse (1836 - 1913) are available, as fiche set D9, from the Huntingdonshire FHS.