[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"BUCKDEN, a parish in the hundred of Toseland, in the county of Huntingdon,
5 miles to the north of St. Neot's. Huntingdon is its post town. It is on the
west side of the river Ouse, not far from Offord station on the Great
Northern railway, and includes the hamlet of Stirtloe. The manor was held
in the reign of Henry I. by the abbot of Ely, who granted it to the bishops
of Lincoln. The ancient palace of the bishops, a brick edifice partly
surrounded by a moat, stands in the centre of the village. It is related of
Bishop Barlow (1675) that he never visited Lincoln, but from his constant
residence here acquired the title of Bishop of Buckden. The living is a
vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, of the value of £254, in the patronage of
the Bishop of Peterborough. The church, a handsome structure with a spire,
is dedicated to St. Mary, and contains monuments to several of the bishops
of Lincoln. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels in the
village. The charitable endowments, consisting partly of bequests for
education, produce about £170 per annum. There are several almshouses."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
"STIRTLOE, (or Sturtlow), a hamlet in the parish of Buckden, county Hunts, 4
miles south-west of Huntingdon, near the river Ouse.
by Colin Hinson ©2010
- Monumental Inscriptions from the Buckden (St Mary) Parish Churchyard (fiche set M7, consisting of approximately 96 entries), and those of Buckden Municipal Cemetery in Lucks Lane (fiche set M-27 consisting of 582 entries) are both available from the
- Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the
Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Buckden Parish is available as fiche set C86.
- The full 1851 Census of Buckden Parish is available as fiche set C36.
- The full 1891 Census of Buckden Parish si available as fiche set C13.
- A surname index of the 1881 Census of the St. Neots Registration District, in which Buckden
was enumerated (RG11/1611, Folios 4a - 31a), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is
available as fiche set C5.
- All the above mentioned fiche sets are available from the
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- OS Grid Square TL 193677.
- The church of
St Mary consists of a chancel with a modern organ chamber, and vestry
on the north, nave, north aisle, south aisle, west tower and south porch. The walls are
of rubble with stone dressing, and the roofs are covered in lead.
- Although mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, nothing of this date remains; the
earliest existing portions being the south doorway of the nave (which is early 13th cent.)
and parts of the chancel wall which date from the latter part of the same century.
Apparently early in the 15th cent. it was contemplated to rebuild the whole church,
widening it towards the north. The east wall of the church was rebuilt to suit the
proposed wider church, but evidently the scheme was changed and the earlier north and
south walls were retained, but the upper part was rebuilt and new windows formed.
Meanwhile the south arcade, south aisle and west towers were built, the latter with
its axis to suit the widened church. The north arcade, however, which evidently followed
a year or two later, was rebuilt on its former line. The rebuilding of the north aisle,
no doubt, followed the completion of the north arcade.
- Considerable repairs to the roofs took place in 1649 and 1665, and large buttresses
were added on the north side in the 18th cent. The church was restored in 1840, 1860
and 1884 when the present vestry and organ chamber were built, and again in 1909 when
the seating was renewed and the font removed to the tower.
- The following are available in the
Huntingdon Records Office.
- Baptisms: 1559-1858 (indexed transcriptions), 1858-1889, 1889-1953.
- Banns: 1755-1851, (indexed transcriptions) 1832-1896.
- Marriages: 1559-1851 (indexed Transcriptions), 1837-1920, 1920-1925, 1925-1936,
1936-1945, 1947-1967, 1967-1992.
- Burials: 1559-1851 (indexed transcriptions), 1813-1902, 1921.
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1660-3/1720-2, 1724-5, 1731-2, 1734, 1736, 1773-4,
1807-12/1813-14, 1816-24/1825-33, 1835-43/1844-61.
Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes
include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical
listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the
Huntingdonshire FHS Bookstall.
- Buckden was in the Registration District of St. Neots from 1st July 1837 until 31 March 1997, when that district was disbanded. Since 1st April 1997, it has been in the Huntingdon Registration District.
- Bugedene (xi cent.),
- Bukeden (xiii cent.),
- Bokeden (xv cent.),
- Bugden (until late xviii cent.)
- The parish of Buckden was part of the St Neots Union (for Poor Law administration).
- Births and Deaths registered in the St Neots Union Workhouse (1913 - 1952) are available,
as fiche set D11, from the
- Population in 1801 - 869
- Population in 1851 - 1172
- Population in 1901 - 1021
- Population in 1951 - 1057
- Population in 1971 - 2010
- Population in 1991 - 2535
This page was originally generated by Ian Argall maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014