[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"BURY, a parish in the hundred of Hurstingstone, in the county of Huntingdon, 1 mile to the south of Ramsey. It is situated on a branch of the river Nen, over which is an ancient stone bridge of two arches, said to have been erected by one of the abbots of Ramsey, to which monastery the manor then belonged. A barrow in the neighbourhood has probably given name to the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ely, value £167, in the patronage of Lady O. B. Sparrow. The church, which stands on a hill near the village, is dedicated to the Holy Cross. It is a large structure with an eastern transept, partly in the Norman and partly in the early English style of architecture, and contains a carved wooden screen.
The full 1841 Census of Bury-cum-Hepmangrove Parish is available in fiche format as fiche set C119.
The full 1851 Census of Bury is available as fiche set C69.
A surname index of the 1881 Census of the St. Ives Registration District, in which Bury was enumerated (RG11/1605, Folios 20a - 27a), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as fiche set C4.
A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Warboys sub-District of the St. Ives Registration District (RG12/1238) in which Bury was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, has also been produced by the Huntingdonshire FHS (as Fiche C-10).
The church of the Holy Cross is built of rubble with Barnack stone dressing, and the roofs are covered with slates and tiles. It consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle, west tower and (formerly) a western chapel.
An early 12th century church which stood here probably consisted only of a chancel and nave; the east and west walls of the nave of this church survive. Early in the 13th century, the north aisle with its nave arcade was added, and in the middle of the same century the western tower was built. Possibly owing to defects in the foundations, the north wall of the north aisle was rebuilt in the 14th century. About 1400, considerable alterations were again made. The chancel and the south wall of the nave were rebuilt and new windows inserted in the north aisle.
Towards the end of the 15th century, the large chapel west of the tower was built, possibly as a Lady Chapel. The chancel was shortened by about 13 ft, probably in the 16th century as may be seen by the remains of two windows at the eastern angles of the church. The porch was built and the church restored in 1889.
Bury Parish Registers (1561 - 1900), (baptisms, marriages and burials), on 3 microfiche (set D50), are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
Bury-cum-Hepmangrove was originally in the St Ives Registration District from 1st July 1837. Subsequently, it became part of the Warboys Registration sub-District; since 1st April 1997, Bury has been part of the Huntingdon Registration District .