[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"CALDECOTE, a parish in the hundred of Norman Cross, in the county of Huntingdon, 7 miles to the south of Peterborough. Stilton is its post town. The Great Northern railway passes near it. The manor was anciently held by the Hallidays, followers of the Earl of Huntingdon. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £156, in the patronage of William Wells, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene. The parochial charities consist of a small bequest for a school, and the Poor's Estate, the latter worth £6 a year."
The full 1841 Census of Caldecote is available as fiche set C116.
The full 1851 Census of Caldecote is available as fiche set C66.
A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Stilton sub-District of the Peterborough Registration District (RG12/1225) in which Caldecote was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, has also been produced by the Huntingdonshire FHS (as Fiche C-15).
An index of surnames in the 1851 Census of the Peterborough Registration District (HO107/1747) in which Caldecote was enumerated (Folios 52B - 53B), and which took place on 30th March 1851, has also been produced by the Peterborough & District FHS.
The Census is available in either microfiche or A5 booklet from from Mr G Harbron, 7 Newby Close, Peterborough PE3 6PU, England. Please state which version you want.
There is now no church is Caldecote. However, the parish church of St Mary Magdalene consisted of a chancel, nave, modern vestry on the north side of the nave, and a south porch. the walls of the building are of rubble with stone dressings, and the roofs were covered with stone slates.
The church is not mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, and the earliest existing remains are parts of the chancel arch which dates from the 12th century. The chancel was rebuilt towards the end of the 13th century, and the nave about 100 years later. In 1552, the chancel was in ruins. The whole church was rebuilt on the old lines in 1874 when much of the old material was reused, but a contempory bell-cote on the west gable took the place of the small tower which formerly stood at the west end.
The church was deconsectrated during the mid-1970s; the building was subsequently converted around 1988 for domestic use as a private house.
Caldecote Parish Registers (births, marriages and burials) 1605-1972, as fiche set D-16, are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS Bookstall.
Caldecote was originally in the Peterborough Registration District of Northamptonshire from 1st July 1837. Subsequently it was transferred to the Stilton sub-District of Huntingdonshire. It was later transferred back to the Peterborough District.
From 1st April 1998, marriage records were transferred to the Huntingdon Registry Office, but the births and burial records were retained by Peterborough.