[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"CHESTERTON, a parish in the hundred of Norman Cross, in the county of
Huntingdon, 5 miles south-west of Peterborough, and 3 from the Wansford station
of the Northampton and Peterborough railway. It is situated on the river
Nen, near the ancient Ermine Street. The living is a rectory* in the
diocese of Ely, value £430, in the patronage of the Marquis of Huntley, who
is lord of the manor. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient
edifice in the early English and Norman styles of architecture. It contains
several ancient monuments. A single-ditched Roman camp is seen at
Castlefield, where a stone coffin, skeleton, and coins have of late years
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
"DORNFORD, (or Dunsford), a hamlet in the parish of Chesterton, in the
county of Huntingdon, 5 miles south-west of Peterborough. It is situated at the
ferry, south of the river Nen, to which the Roman road loads straight from
Huntingdon. It was the Durobrivæ of Antoninus, on Ermine Street, as
evidenced by the Roman remains and coins which have been found.
by Colin Hinson ©2010
- Monumental inscriptions for this parish have not been recorded by the Huntingdonshire FHS. However,
Peterborough & District FHS have an interest in the parish.
- Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the
Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Chesterton Parish is available as fiche set C82.
- The full 1851 Census of Chesterton Parish is available as fiche set C32.
- A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Stilton sub-District of the Peterborough
Registration District (RG12/1225) in which Chesterton was enumerated, and which took place
on 5th April 1891, has also been produced by
the Huntingdonshire FHS (as Fiche C-15).
- The above mentioned microfiche are available from the
- An index of surnames in the 1851 Census of the Peterborough Registration District (HO107/1747)
in which Chesterton was enumerated (Folios 22B - 25B), and which took place on 30th March 1851,
has also been produced by the Peterborough & District FHS.
- The Index is available in either microfiche or A5 booklet form. Please state which version you
want. The Census is available from Mr G Harbron, 7 Newby Close, Peterborough PE3 6PU, England.
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- OS Grid Square TL 127955.
- The church of St. Michael consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle, south aisle,
west tower and south porch. the walls are of stone rubble with ashlar dressings,
and the roofs are covered with lead.
- The church is mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, but no part of this early
church remains. Small parts of the nave walls may be of the 12th century but they
have been so much cut into by later arcades that very little remains. Early in the
13th century, the south arcade was added and, during the first half of the same
century, the west tower was built. The north aisle was built around 1300 and probably
the chancel, with its arch, was built at the same time. the clearstory was added
about 1330 and a little later, the spire was built.
- In the 18th century, the chancel was rebuilt again, and a heavy oak screen was erected
across the chancel arch. The aisles had new windows inserted at the same time, the
parapets were reconstructed and the south porch was built. The church was restored
in 1841 and 1906.
- There are
photographs and further information on the exterior
interior of St. Peter's Church on Rob's Churches website.
- The following are available in the
Huntingdon Records Office.
- Baptisms: 1561-1733, 1734-1769, 1770-1812.
- Banns: 1758-1811.
- Marriages: 1562-1639, 1663-1730, 1734-1753, 1754-1811, 1813-1839, 1839-1956.
- Burials: 1562-1640, 1661-1733/4, 1734-1769, 1769-1812.
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1604-5, 1608, 1610, 1612, 1618-20, 1625, 1629, 1661-71/1674-6, 1678, 1680-3, 1686-8, 1691-2, 1695, 1697, 1704, 1708-54, 1756-66, 1768-77, 1779-87, 1789-1813/1813-24/1825-34, 1835, 1837-58.
Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes
include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical
listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the
- Chesterton was originally in the Peterbrough Registration District of Northamptonshire
from 1st July 1837. Subsequently it was transferred to the Stilton sub-District of
Huntingdonshire. It was later transferred back to the Peterborough District.
- From 1st April 1998, marriage records were transferred to the Huntingdon Registry
Office, but the births and burial records were retained by Peterborough.
- Cestretune (xi cent.),
- Cestreton (xii cent.),
- Chesterton (xiv cent.).
- The parish of Chesterton was in the Peterborough Union of Northamptonshire for Poor Law administration.
- Population in 1801 - 112.
- Population in 1851 - 114.
- Population in 1901 - 118.
- Population in 1951 - 167.
- Population in 1971 - 229.
- Population in 1991 - 151.
This page was originally generated by Ian Argall maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014