[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"COLNE, a parish in the hundred of Hurstingstone, in the county of Huntingdon, 5½ miles north-east of St. Ives. It was a chapelry to Amersham, and belonged to the Drurys. It was given by Edward III. to his kinswoman, Lady Wake. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory* of Somersham, in the diocese of Ely. The tithes are appropriated to the Regius Professor of Divinity in the University of Cambridge. The church is an ancient structure in the early English style, dedicated to St. Helen. It has several stained-glass windows, and contains an ancient piscina, and the remains of a brass attributed to the reign of Henry III. In 1844 a large fire destroyed a great part of the village. George Day, Esq., is lord of the manor."
The full 1841 Census of Colne Parish is available as Fiche Set C114.
The full 1851 Census of Colne Parish is available as Fiche Set C64.
A surname index of the 1881 Census of the St. Ives Registration District, in which Colne was enumerated (RG11/1606, Folios 41a - 47b), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as fiche set C4.
A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Somersham sub-District of the St. Ives Registration District (RG12/1239) in which Colne was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, has also been produced by the Huntingdonshire FHS (as Fiche C11).
The ancient church of St Helen consisted of a chancel, nave, north aisle, south aisle, west tower entirely within the nave, and a south porch. The walls are chiefly of stone and rubble, but parts of it were brick and the roofs were tiled.
The south wall of the chancel and the two eastern responds of the nave arcades were of the 13th century. The rest of the church was mainly of 14th century date, but the porch was of early 16th century, and the east wall of the chancel and large parts of the tower were red brick - probably of 18th century date.
The replacement church consists of a chancel with south vestry, nave with south aisle, and a tower at the south-west corner. It is built of stone and roofed with tiles. The chancel has a modern east window. In the north wall is the old 14th century window towards the east, and a 13th century window (taken from the south wall) towards the west. In the south wall, the ancient chancel piscina was refixed. There is no chancel arch but a wooden screen. Elsewhere, there is much other old material which has been reused, and the ancient font remains.
The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
Colne was originally in the St. Ives Registration District from 1st July 1837. Subsequently, it was in the Somersham sub-District. From 1st April 1997, it comes directly under the Huntingdon Registration District.