Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"COPPINGFORD, a parish in the hundred of Leightonstone, in the county of Huntingdon, 6 miles south of Stilton, and 8 north-west of Huntingdon. It is situated on the small river Alconbury. The living is a rectory annexed to the rectory* of Upton, in the diocese of Ely, in the patronage of Lord Montage: The church is in ruins. The Duke of Buccleuch is lord of the manor. The principal residence is Coppingford Hall."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- There are no monumental inscriptions in Coppingford.
- Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Coppingford Parish is available as fiche set C95.
- The full 1851 Census of Coppingford Parish is available as fiche set C45.
- A surname index of the 1881 Census of the Huntingdon Registration District, in which Coppingford was enumerated (RG11/1601, Folios 66a - 67b), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as fiche set C3.
- A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Sawtry sub-District of the Huntingdon Registration District (RG12/1235) in which Coppingford was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, has also been produced by the Huntingdonshire FHS (as Fiche C-7).
- The above mentioned fiche are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- The church is mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086 and seems to have still been standing as late as 1526 when it was served by a curate under the Rector of Copmanford with Upton. By 1707 it had been pulled down and no records remain as to its form.
- The dedication appears to have been to All Saints, although one record gives it as St Mary. From 1465, when William Sherard was instituted Rector of Coppingford and Upton, all succeeeding rectors have been so instituted.
- There are no surviving church records for Coppingford alone; the parishoners used Upton church, which is known as Coppingford-with-Upton (or Upton-cum-Coppingford) parish church.
- The parish of Upton-cum-Coppingford was originaly in the Huntingdon Registration District from 1st July 1837. Subsequently it became part of the Sawtry sub-District. Once again, from 1st April 1997, it is directly under the Huntingdon Registration District.
- Copemaneford (xi cent.),
- Coppeneford (xii cent.),
- Copmanford (xii-xix cent.),
- Coupmanneford (xii cent.),
- Copemandesford (xiv cent.),
- Copyngford (xvi cent.).
- The parish of Coppingford was in the Huntingdon Union for Poor Law administration.
- Births and Deaths registered in the Huntingdon Union Workhouse (1838 - 1949) are available, as fiche set D10, from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Population in 1801 - 53.
- Population in 1851 - 65.
- Population in 1901 - 34.
- Population in 1931 - 29.
- From 1951 the population figures were included with Upton
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Coppingford which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL166801 (Lat/Lon: 52.406458, -0.287364), Coppingford which are provided by: