[Transcribed and edited information from The Victoria County History series- 1932]
"COPPINGFORD, the land in the parish is clay, which includes some woodland; the remainder is about half and half arable and pasture. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and beans.
From the Mile Brook, a tributary of the Alconbury Brook on the west side of the parish, the land is about 80 ft. above sea level but it rises to about 170 ft. in the village. The Ermine Street for a short distance forms the eastern boundary of the parish. It is interesting to note that in 1242, John de Neville, Baliff of the King's Forests, was ordered to cause a cutting (trenchia) to be made through Sawtry Wood, Coppingford Wood and Upton Wood of sufficient width for the security of travellers as far as the road there extended. It would seem probable that the road referred to was Ermine Street. The only other road in the area was Bullock Road which, also for a short distance, forms the parish boundary, but this is unlikely to have been the subject of the order.
About a mile west of Ermine Street, on high land where a by-road from Upton (called Coppingford Lane) meets a by-road from Hamerton to Sawtry, stands the small village of Coppingford. The moated site of the manor house, probably built by the Copmanford family about 1200, is on the west side of the village. The Church of All Hallows (All Saints), which was destroyed before 1707, is supposed to have stood in a square paddock of half an acre, inclosed with a hedge, at the north-west angle outside the moat of the Manor House. "