[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"COVINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Leightonstone, in the county of Hunts, 3 miles north-west of Kimbolton, and 8 from Thrapston, the former being its post town. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £180, in the patronage of the Hon. G. W. Fitzwilliam. The church is dedicated to All Saints. The lords of the manor are the Duke of Manchester and Earl Fitzwilliam."
The full 1841 Census of Covington Parish is available as fiche set C87.
The full 1851 Census of Covington Parish is available as fiche set C37.
A surname index of the 1881 Census of the Thrapston Registration District of Northamptonshire, in which Covington was enumerated (RG11/1582, Folios 83b - 88a), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as Fiche C1.
A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Huntingdonshire (Miscellaneous Parishes) Registration District (Sub-Districts of Thrapston (NTH), Oundle (NTH), Stamford (LIN) and Caxton (CAM)) in which Covington was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, is available as fiche set C16.
The church of All Saints consists of a chancel, organ chamber and vestry on the north, nave, west tower and south porch. the walls are of rubble with stone dressings, and the roofs are covered with tiles and lead.
The church is not mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086 but, by the end of the 12th century, a stone church with an aisle-less nave was standing on this present site and, of this church, the nave remains. The chancel was built around 1300, and a little later a chapel was built on the south side of the nave. The tower was probably first built around 1330, but was considerably altered around 1500. An ancient local tradition asserts that the tower once had a spire, and some spire stones were certainly found built into two of the nave buttresses in 1883. The spire may, however, have been pulled down in the 1500 alteration work.
The south chapel was pulled down at some unknown date and one of its widows was inserted into the blocking of the arch to the nave. The church was much restored in 1882-3 when all the roofs were renewed, the south porch rebuilt, and the organ chamber and vestry added. The south wall of the chancel was rebuilt in 1911.
The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
Covington was in the Thrapston Registration District of Northamptonshire from 1st July 1837, but it subsequently came under the Raunds sub-District of Thrapston. In 1935, the parish was transferred to the Kimbolton sub-District. It is now part of the Huntingdon District.