"DENTON, a parish in the hundred of Norman Cross, in the county of Huntingdon, 7½ miles south-west of Peterborough, and ¾ miles south-west of Stilton. It is situated on Holme Brook, and belonged to the Cottons of Connington. This parish forms a narrow slip of land of about 600 acres. The village is extremely small, and wholly agricultural. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £130, in the patronage of the executors of the late Captain Wells. The church, dedicated to All Saints, was built in 1665, by the Cottons. The tithes were commuted for land under the Enclosure Act of 1802. The charities amount to £16 per annum. There is an endowed school. Sir Robert Cotton, founder of the Cottonian Library, now in the British Museum, was born here in 1570. W. Wells, Esq., is lord of the manor."