[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"ELLINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Leightonstone, county Huntingdon, 5 miles west of Huntingdon, and 6 north-east of Kimbolton, its post town. A small tributary of the river Ouse passes through the parish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £170, in the patronage of St. Peter's College, Cambridge. The church is a handsome edifice, dedicated to All Saints. There are charities for the church and poor, producing nearly £60 per annum. The Baptists have a chapel. The Rev. Frederick Beadon is lord of the manor."
The full 1841 Census of Ellington Parish is available as fiche set C89 from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
The full 1851 Census of Ellington Parish is available as fiche set C39 from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
A Surname Index of the 1881 Census of the Huntingdon Registration District, in which Ellington was enumerated (RG11/1602, Folios 80a - 88a), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as fiche C3, from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Spaldwick sub-District of the Huntingdon Registration District (RG12/1236) in which Ellington was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, has also been produced by the Huntingdonshire FHS (as Fiche C8). This is available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
The church of All Saints consists of a chancel, nave with north aisle, south aisle, west tower and spire, and north and south porches. The walls are of rubble with pebble rubble with stone dressings and the roofs are covered with lead, slates and tiles.
The church is mentioned in the Domesday Survey of 1086, but nothing earlier than the 13th Century remains and of this period only the chancel arch is in-situ The walls of the chancel probably remained, much altered, until 1863, and the nave was probably of the same length as at present for the south aisle was added or rebuilt early in the 14th century. At the end of that century the tower was added or rebuilt and, in about 1400, the nave arcades, north aisle and north porch were rebuilt. The south wall of the south aisle was largely rebuilt towards the end of the 15th century when new windows were inserted in its east and west walls. The clearstory was added to the nave about the same time.
The south porch was built in the 16th century. The chancel was rebuilt in 1863, the spire restored in 1899 and the nave roof in 1907-8.
The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS
Ellington was originally in the Huntingdon Registration District from 1st July 1837. Subsequently it became part of the Spaldwick sub-District, but it is now directly under the Huntingdon District again.