[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"ELTON, a parish in the hundred of Norman Cross, county Huntingdon, 5 miles north-east of Oundle, its post town, and 8 south-west of Peterborough. It is situated on the north-west border of the county, on the river Nen, and 1 mile west of the Elton station on the London and North-Western railway. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1807. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £478, in the patronage of University College, Oxford. The church is a handsome structure, with stained-glass windows. It is dedicated to All Saints. There is a chapel belonging to the Wesleyans. The charities consist of Cooper's almshouses, with an income of £160 per annum, and a school for boys with an endowment of about £40 per annum. There are also schools for girls and infants. Earl Carysfort, whose seat is Elton Hall, is lord of the manor."
The full 1841 Census of Elton Parish is available as fiche set C90.
The full 1851 Census of Elton Parish is available as fiche set C40.
A surname index of the 1881 Census of the Oundle Registration District of Northamptonshire, in which Elton was enumerated (RG11/1588, Folios 58a - 81a), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available, as Fiche C2.
A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Huntingdonshire (Miscellaneous Parishes) Registration District in which Elton was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, is available as fiche set C16.
The church of All Saints consists of a chancel, organ chamber and vestry on the north, nave, north aisle, south aisle, west tower and south porch. The walls of the tower and porch are faced with ashlar, and the rest of the church with rubble with stone dressings. The roofs are covered with lead and slates.
The church is mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, and some foundations of this early church were found under the north wall of the chancel in 1886. Nothing, however, remains above ground earlier than the chancel arch which dates from around 1270. The chancel, nave and two aisles were built in the first decade of the 14th century, and there are indications that a vestry was added a little later. The three western arches of the south arcade were rebuilt in the 15th century, and at the extreme end of that century, the south aisle itself was rebuilt, the western tower built, and both aisles extended to its west face. At the same time, the south porch was also built and a clear story was added to the nave.
The west gallery was taken down and the tower arch opened out by the Rev. F W Faber (1843-45), and further improvements were made by his successor, Rev. P C Claughton (1845-59). The church was restored in 1885-6 when the vestry and organ chamber were built, the aisle roofs renewed and the clearstory windows opened out. In 1905, the east wall of the chancel was rebuilt.
The is a further description with photographs of All Saints Church on "Robs Churches" website.
The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
The parish of Elton was originally the Oundle Registration District from 1st July 1837. Subsequently, it became part of the sub-District of Fotheringhay. It was later transferred to the Peterborough District.
From 1st April 1998, marriage records were transferred to the Huntingdon Registry Office, but the births and burial records were retained by Peterborough.