"ELTON, a parish in the hundred of Norman Cross, county Huntingdon, 5 miles north-east of Oundle, its post town, and 8 south-west of Peterborough. It is situated on the north-west border of the county, on the river Nen, and 1 mile west of the Elton station on the London and North-Western railway. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1807. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £478, in the patronage of University College, Oxford. The church is a handsome structure, with stained-glass windows. It is dedicated to All Saints. There is a chapel belonging to the Wesleyans. The charities consist of Cooper's almshouses, with an income of £160 per annum, and a school for boys with an endowment of about £40 per annum. There are also schools for girls and infants. Earl Carysfort, whose seat is Elton Hall, is lord of the manor."