[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"FEN-STANTON, a parish in the hundred of Toseland, county Huntingdon, 2 miles south of St. Ive's, its post town and railway station on the Great Eastern line. It is situated on the Cambridge and Huntingdon main road, and includes the hamlet of Hilton. The St. Ive's gasworks are in this parish. There is a clock in the main street of the town believed to be about 200 years old. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value with the curacy of Hilton annexed, £320, in the patronage of Trinity Hall, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. The Baptists have two chapels, and there are National and British schools for both sexes. The Rev. L. R. Brown is lord of the manor."
The full 1841 Census of Fenstanton Parish is available as fiche set C93.
The full 1851 Census of Fenstanton Parish is available as fiche set C43.
A surname index of the 1881 Census of the St. Ives Registration District, in which Fen Stanton was enumerated (RG11/1608, Folios 81a - 106b), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as fiche set C4.
A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the St. Ives Registration District (RG12/1234) in which Fenstanton parish was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891.
The church of St Peter and St Paul consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle, south aisle, west tower and south porch. The walls are of rubble with stone dressings and the roofs are covered with tiles, slates and lead.
Although mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, nothing remains of this early church except a few stones reused in the walling. There was evidently a rebuilding in the first half of the 13th century, of which period are the responds of the chancel arch, the plinth of the west respond of the north arcade, and the north, south and parts of the east arches of the tower; apparently, a south aisle and porch were also built.
Early in the 14th century, the south aisle and porch were were rebuilt and in 1345-52 the then Rector, William Longthorne, rebuilt the chancel, whilst at the extreme end of the century, the tower was practically rebuilt and furnished with a spire. In the next century, another reconstruction involved the rebuilding of the nave arcades with a clearstory and roof above them, the enlargement of the chancel and tower arches, building of strong buttresses to stiffen the tower piers. Finally, in about 1500, the north aisle was rebuilt, new windows were inserted in the south aisle and new roofs were added to the aisles and porch.
The galleries were pulled down and the church generally restored in 1860.
The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
Fen Stanton was in the St Ives Registration District from 1st July 1837. This later became a sub-District of Huntingdon until 31st March 1997, since when it has been in the Huntingdon Registration District.