[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"FLETTON, (or Old Fletton) a parish in the hundred of Norman Cross, county Huntingdon, 1 mile south of Peterborough, its post town and railway station on the Great Northern and Great Eastern lines. The river Nen flows by the parish on the east It was a part of the demesne of Peterborough Abbey, and after the Dissolution became the property of the Fletton family. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable and pasture. In 1739, while digging a well, shells and wood were met with at a depth of 30 feet. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £292. The church is an ancient edifice dedicated to St. Margaret. The charities, including a small school endowment, produce nearly £50 per annum.
An index of surnames in the 1851 Census of the Peterborough Registration District (HO107/1747) in which Fletton was enumerated (Folios 261B-276B), and which took place on 30th March 1851, has also been produced by the Peterborough & District FHS.
The Index is available in either microfiche or A5 booklet form. Please state which version you want. The Census is available from Mr G Harbron, 7 Newby Close, Peterborough PE3 6PU, England.
The church of St. Margaret consists of a chancel, organ chamber and vestry on the north, nave, north aisle, south aisle, west tower and south porch. The walls are of rubble with stone dressings, and the roofs are covered with stone-slates, slates and lead.
The church is mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, but this church was evidently rebuilt in stone as an aisleless nave and chancel, probably of the same size as the present, around the year 1150. Some 15 years later, a north chapel and north aisle were added, and the chancel arch rebuilt. About 1300, a south aisle and west tower were added, the north aisle was - perhaps - rebuilt and the vestry built. Possibly at this same time, the wide western arch of the north arcade was built in the place of two semi-circular arches.
The church was restored in 1872 when the porch was rebuilt, and again in 1901 when the north aisle was again rebuilt, widened and extended to the east end of the chancel, absorbing the former north chapel and vestry. In 1917, the spire was struck by lightening, and the upper part had to be rebuilt.
The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
From 1905, the population figures reflected the changing boundaries of the civil parishes which included parts of Stanground so comparisons are difficult to make. They eventually became urban wards of Peterborough.