"FLETTON, (or Old Fletton) a parish in the hundred of Norman Cross, county Huntingdon, 1 mile south of Peterborough, its post town and railway station on the Great Northern and Great Eastern lines. The river Nen flows by the parish on the east It was a part of the demesne of Peterborough Abbey, and after the Dissolution became the property of the Fletton family. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable and pasture. In 1739, while digging a well, shells and wood were met with at a depth of 30 feet. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £292. The church is an ancient edifice dedicated to St. Margaret. The charities, including a small school endowment, produce nearly £50 per annum.