[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"GLATTON, a parish in the hundred of Norman Cross, county Huntingdon, 3 miles south-west of Stilton, its post town, and 10 south-east of Oundle. It is situated to the south of Holme Brook, and has the small parish of Holme united with it. The great North road passes within about a mile of the village, which is small. The greater part of the land is arable, and the soil a stiff clay. The tithes have been commuted for land and a money payment, under an Enclosure Act obtained in 1800. The living is a rectory with the perpetual curacy of Holme annexed, value £546. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is a fine edifice, with square tower. There are some small charities, and a National school for both sexes, partly endowed. W. Wells, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"HOLME, a chapelry in the parish of Glatton, county Huntingdon, 3 miles south-east of Stilton, and 6 south of Peterborough. It is a station on the Great Northern railway. The country, which is fenny, is traversed by the Holme Brook. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1809. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ely, value 195. The church is dedicated to St. Giles. The charities produce £86, of which £60 is the endowment of the fret school. The principal residence is Holme Wood. See also the Holme Parish page"
The full 1841 Census of Glatton is available as fiche set C116.
The full 1851 Census of Glatton is available as fiche set C66.
A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Stilton sub-District of the Peterborough Registration District (RG12/1225) in which Glatton was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, has also been produced by the Huntingdonshire FHS (as Fiche C-15).
An index of surnames in the 1851 Census of the Peterborough Registration District (HO107/1747) in which Glatton was enumerated (Folios 60B - 67B), and which took place on 30th March 1851, has also been produced by the Peterborough & District FHS.
The Census is available in either microfiche or A5 booklet form from Mr G Harbron, 7 Newby Close, Peterborough PE3 6PU, England. Please state which version you want.
The church of St. Nicholas consists of a chancel, north vestry, nave, north transept, north aisle, south aisle and west tower. The walls of the tower are faced with ashlar; those of the chancel are faced with coursed hammer-dressed stone, and the rest are of rubble with stone dressings. The roofs are covered with lead.
The church is mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, but nothing remains of this early church. A few 12th century stones, particularly one capital of the nave arcade, indicate an aisled church of that century. In the 4th decade of the 13th century, the nave arcades wewre rebuilt and, somewhat later, the north transept was added. The aisle walls were, apparently, not rebuilt at this period but it is probable that the church had a tower of either 12th or 13th century date.
In about 1330, the south aisle was rebuilt, widened and extended to the western face of the tower, a wide arch being thrown across the line of the old west wall of the aisles. Towards the end of the 15th century, a considerable reconstruction was begun. the chancel was rebuilt and probably widened and lengthened, and the clearstory and rood-stairs added. A little later the west tower was rebuilt, and the north aisle rebuilt and widened and carried to the western face of the tower. Finally, in the early years of the 16th century, the vestry was added.
The roof of the nave was renewed in 1615 and those of the transepts and aisles were also renewed in 1701. The eastern half of the chancel was rebuilt in 1839-40, and the rest of the chancel largely rebuilt in 1857. The remainder of the church was restored in 1869, and the nave roof was again restored in 1933.
The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.