[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"GLATTON, a parish in the hundred of Norman Cross, county Huntingdon, 3
miles south-west of Stilton, its post town, and 10 south-east of Oundle. It is situated
to the south of Holme Brook, and has the small parish of Holme united with it.
The great North road passes within about a mile of the village, which is
small. The greater part of the land is arable, and the soil a stiff clay.
The tithes have been commuted for land and a money payment, under an
Enclosure Act obtained in 1800. The living is a rectory with the perpetual
curacy of Holme annexed, value £546. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas,
is a fine edifice, with square tower. There are some small charities, and a
National school for both sexes, partly endowed. W. Wells, Esq., is lord of
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
"HOLME, a chapelry in the parish of Glatton, county Huntingdon, 3 miles south-east
of Stilton, and 6 south of Peterborough. It is a station on the Great Northern
railway. The country, which is fenny, is traversed by the Holme Brook. The
tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in
1809. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ely, value 195.
The church is dedicated to St. Giles. The charities produce £86, of which
£60 is the endowment of the fret school. The principal residence is Holme
See also the
Holme Parish page"
by Colin Hinson ©2010
- Monumental inscriptions for this parish have not been recorded by the Huntingdonshire FHS. However,
Peterborough & District FHS have an interest in the parish.
- Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the
Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Glatton is available as fiche set C116.
- The full 1851 Census of Glatton is available as fiche set C66.
- A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Stilton sub-District of the Peterborough
Registration District (RG12/1225) in which Glatton was enumerated, and which took place
on 5th April 1891, has also been produced by the Huntingdonshire FHS (as Fiche C-15).
- The above mentioned fiche sets are available from the
- An index of surnames in the 1851 Census of the Peterborough Registration District
(HO107/1747) in which Glatton was enumerated (Folios 60B - 67B), and which took
place on 30th March 1851, has also been produced by the Peterborough & District FHS.
- The Census is available in either microfiche or A5 booklet form from Mr G Harbron,
7 Newby Close, Peterborough PE3 6PU, England. Please state which version you want.
- St. Nicholas's Church, Glatton.
- The church of St. Nicholas consists of a chancel, north vestry, nave, north
transept, north aisle, south aisle and west tower. The walls of the tower are
faced with ashlar; those of the chancel are faced with coursed hammer-dressed
stone, and the rest are of rubble with stone dressings. The roofs are covered
- The church is mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, but nothing remains
of this early church. A few 12th century stones, particularly one capital of
the nave arcade, indicate an aisled church of that century. In the 4th decade
of the 13th century, the nave arcades wewre rebuilt and, somewhat later, the
north transept was added. The aisle walls were, apparently, not rebuilt at
this period but it is probable that the church had a tower of either 12th or
13th century date.
- In about 1330, the south aisle was rebuilt, widened and extended to the western
face of the tower, a wide arch being thrown across the line of the old west wall
of the aisles. Towards the end of the 15th century, a considerable reconstruction
was begun. the chancel was rebuilt and probably widened and lengthened, and the
clearstory and rood-stairs added. A little later the west tower was rebuilt, and
the north aisle rebuilt and widened and carried to the western face of the tower.
Finally, in the early years of the 16th century, the vestry was added.
- The roof of the nave was renewed in 1615 and those of the transepts and aisles
were also renewed in 1701. The eastern half of the chancel was rebuilt in 1839-40,
and the rest of the chancel largely rebuilt in 1857. The remainder of the church
was restored in 1869, and the nave roof was again restored in 1933.
- There are
photographs and further information on St. Nicholas's Church on Rob's Churches website.
- The following are available in the
Huntingdon Records Office.
- Baptisms: 1578-1684/5, 1685-1812, 1764-1812, 1813-1889.
- Banns: 1754-1811.
- Marriages: 1578-1684/5, 1685-1754, 1764/5-1766, 1754-1813, 1814-1836, 1837-1962.
- Burials: 1578-1684/5, 1685-1812, 1764-1812.
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1604-5, 1698-10, 1612, 1617-19, 1625-7, 1629/1679, 1683-6, 1690-3, 1695, 1697-1702, 1704-6, 1708-30, 1732-41, 1743-1751/1756, 1758-1813/1814-24/1825-58.
Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes
include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical
listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the
- Glatton was originally in the Peterborough Registration District of Northamptonshire from 1st July 1837.
- Subsequently it was transferred to the Stilton sub-District of Huntingdonshire.
It was later transferred back to the Peterborough District.
- From 1st April 1998, marriage records were transferred to the Huntingdon Registry
Office, but the births and burial records were retained by Peterborough.
- A GENWEB page for
Glatton is available.
- Glaedtunings (x cent.),
- Glatune (xi cent.),
- Glatton (xii cent.).
- The parish of Glatton was in the Peterborough Poor Law Union of Northamptonshire for Poor Law administration.
- Population in 1801 - 323.
- Population in 1851 - 286.
- Population in 1901 - 189.
- Population in 1951 - 136.
- Population in 1971 - 193.
- Population in 1991 - 242.
This page was originally generated by Ian Argall maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014