[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"GODMANCHESTER, a parish in the hundred of Toseland, county Huntingdon, 1 mile south-east of Huntingdon, of which it is a suburb, and is included within the borough. It is situated on the banks of the river Ouse, which is here crossed by a bridge. It is supposed to occupy the site of the Roman station Durolepons, and was called by the Saxons Gumecestre. It was held by the Dane, Guthram, to whom it was given by Alfred. It received its charter of incorporation from James I., and under the new Corporation Act is governed by a mayor, 4 aldermen, and 12 councillors.
This place is somewhat noted for its production of cream cheese. The £10 householders are entitled to vote in the election of members of parliament for the borough of Huntingdon. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £328, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The church is a handsome edifice, dedicated to St. Mary. The endowments consist of £21 to the free school founded by Queen Elizabeth, Dryden's almshouses, and about £53 for other charitable purposes. The Independents, Baptists, and Particular Baptists have chapels, and there are National and infant schools. A court-leet is held half-yearly. The mayor, during his term of office, is lord of the manor, and with the ex-mayor, exercises concurrent jurisdiction with the county magistrates. A fair is held on Easter Monday for the sale of horses and live stock."
Monumental Inscriptions of Godmanchester (St. Mary's Church and Churchyard - including the Nonconformist Section) (approximately 544 entries) together with the Particular Baptist Chapel Cemetery - 1811 to 1874 (30 entries) are available as Fiche M-26 from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
The full 1841 Census of Godmanchester Parish is available as fiche set C96.
The full 1851 Census of Godmanchester Parish is available as fiche set C46.
A surname index of the 1881 Census of the Huntingdon Registration District, in which Godmanchester was enumerated (RG11/1603, Folios 36a - 90b), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as Fiche C3.
A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Huntingdon Registration District (RG12/1237) in which Godmanchester was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, is available as fiche set C9.
The church of St Mary was mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086 but, except for a few stones in the walling, nothing of this early building remains. The church seems to have been rebuilt about the middle of the 13th century, and of this period are the chancel, the west wall of the nave and small parts of the west walls of the aisles.
About 1340 a north vestry was added to the chancel, and at the end of this century (and extending into the next) a further reconstruction took place beginning at the west end of the aisles and embracing the arcades, clerestory and porches, and the raising and altering of the chancel.
The tower and spire being ruinous were taken down and rebuilt in 1623. The upper part of the south porch was rebuilt around 1669. The roof and parapets were repaired early in the 19th century, and the church was generally restored in 1853, the vestry was rebuilt and the organ chamber and choir added in 1860. Another general restoration took place in 1885 and the chancel restored in 1912.
Births: Some births for 1653-1674 are recorded in the Burial Register for 1653-1718.
Baptisms: 1604-1752 (indexed - extracts only), 1604-1754, (Two baptisms in 1753 are recorded in the Burial register 1653-1718), (1700-1851 indexed transcription available on request), 1754-1798, 1798-1812, 1813-1838, 1838-1851, 1851-1875, 1875-1893, 1893-1935, 1935-1960, Indexed register transcripts 1700-1851 available on request.
The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.