[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835] (unless otherwise stated)
"GREAT GIDDING, a parish in the hundred of LEIGHTONSTONE, county of HUNTINGDON, 5 miles (S.W.) from Stilton, containing 496 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Huntingdon, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £8. 5. 2., and in the patronage of Lord Sondes. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, contains a curious bason for holy water, resembling a Norman capital, A salary is paid by Lord Sondes to a master for teaching reading, writing, and arithmetic, to twenty poor boys."