"GREAT PAXTON, a parish in the hundred of Toseland, county Huntingdon, 3 miles north-east of St. Neot's, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the main road to Godmanchester, and is wholly agricultural. The soil consists of clay and gravel. The surface is hilly between the village and St. Neot's. The meadows are subject to inundation from the river Ouse, which separates this parish on the west from that of Little Paxton. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1811. The glebe comprises 97 acres in this parish, and 60 in Little Paxton. The living is a vicarage* with the curacies of Little Paxton and Toseland annexed, in the diocese of Ely, value £231, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is an ancient structure containing sedilia and piscina. The parochial charities produce about £8 per annum. There is a Sunday-school. The Wesleyans have a place of worship.