[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"GREAT STAUGHTON, a parish in the hundred of Toseland, county Huntingdon, 6
miles north-west of St. Neot's, its post town, and 3 south-east of Kimbolton. The
parish is considerable, and divided into North and South side, comprising
the hamlets of Staughton Highway, Great Staughton Moor, East and West
Perry, Dillington, and Agden Green. The soil is chiefly clay and gravel.
There are an extensive brewery and malting houses. The living is a
vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £450, in the patronage of St. John's
College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient
structure, with a square tower containing a clock and five bells. The
interior contains several monuments and effigies. The charities, realised
from some land and cottages, are distributed yearly to the poor in bread.
The parochial school is situated in the churchyard, and is endowed with
land and cottage property realising about £20 per annum, which is for the
education of 12 boys for the term of three years. James Duberley, Esq., is
lord of the manor of Beechampstead.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
"DILLINGTON, a hamlet in the parish of Great Staughton and the hundred of
Leightonstone, in the county of Huntingdon, 3 miles south-east of Kimbolton."
by Colin Hinson ©2010
- Monumental Inscriptions from the parish church of St Andrew (1539-1996), the Old Cemetery (1863-1980), the New Cemetery (1913-1997), the Baptist church (1865-1985) and Perry Baptist church (approximately 549 entries - fiche set M20) are available from the
- Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the
Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Great Staughton is available as fiche set C115.
- The full 1851 Census of Great Staughton is available as fiche set C65.
- A surname index of the 1881 Census of the St. Neots Registration District, in which Great
Staughton (RG11/1612, Folios 65a - 91b), Dillington (Folios 91b - 92b) and Perry (Folios
93a - 96b) were enumerated, and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as Fiche C-5.
- A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Kimbolton Registration District (RG12/1243)
in which Great Staughton was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, is
available as Fiche C-14.
- The above mentioned fiche are available from the
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- OS Grid Square TL 124647.
- The church of St. Andrew consists of a chancel with north vestry, north chapel,
nave, north aisle, south aisle, west tower and south porch. The walls are of stone
and pebble rubble except for the tower which is of coursed rubble and stone dressings.
The roofs are covered with lead, tiles and slates.
- The church is mentioned in the Domeday survey of 1086, but nothing of this early date
remains in-situ. At the end of the 13th century, a gradual rebuilding was commenced
by piercing three arches in each side wall of the nave; this was quickly followed by
an extension of the arcades by two western bays, the building of the aisles and the
rebuilding of the chancel. In the 14th century, the south aisle was rebuilt and
widened and a porch added, and the north aisle was also partly rebuilt.
- In the latter half of the 15th century, a considerable reconstruction took place.
The nave arcades were rebuilt using much old materials, a rood staircase was formed,
and a clearstory added; the chancel arch and east wall of the chancel was also rebuilt.
Somewhat later, a chapel, known as the Gaynes Chapel, was erected on the north side
of the chancel, and the west tower was built. The vestry was built in 1526.
- In 1636, the church was said to be 'much ruinated' and a large sum was spent on its
repairs. Considerable additional repairs were effected in 1848-50, and a complete
restoration took place in 1866.
- These are available in the
Huntingdon Records Office.
- Baptisms: 1541-1837 (indexed transcription), 1813-1838, 1839-1896.
- Banns: 1754-1796 (indexed transcription).
- Marriages: 1541-1837 (indexed transcription), 1813-1843, 1837-1893.
- Burials: 1540-1837 (indexed transcription), 1813-1852.
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1604-5, 1608-11, 1617-19, 1625, 1627, 1631-1680, 1683-8, 1691-1701,
1704-5, 1707-9, 1711-16, 1718, 1720, 1722-31, 1734-56/1757-84, 1786-1813/1813-21, 1823/4-1825-35.
Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes
include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings
in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the
- Great Staughton was originally in the St. Neots Registration District from 1st July 1837. Subsequently it became part of the Kimbolton sub-District, but it is now directly under the Huntingdon District.
- A GENWEB page for
Great Staughton is available.
- The Great Staughton Sundial. Dating from 1637 this famous sundial stands
prominently on the highway in Great Staughton. The measurement of time has
been important throughout human history.
- Stocton (x cent.),
- Tochestone (xi cent.),
- Magna Stouton (xiii cent.),
- Stowghton (xv cent.),
- Moche Stoughton (xvi cent.).
- The parish of Great Staughton was part of the St Neots Union (for Poor Law administration).
- Births and Deaths registered in the St Neots Union Workhouse (1913 - 1952) are available,
as fiche set D11, from the
- Population in 1801 - 850.
- Population in 1851 - 1316.
- Population in 1901 - 746.
- Population in 1951 - 875.
- Population in 1971 - 1041.
- Population in 1991 - 864.
- The parish of Great Stoughton occupies some 6407 acres of land.
This page was originally generated by Ian Argall maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
If you find an error (small or large) in the text or a bad link, please drop me a line via
my error reporting form.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2010
[Last updated at 14.41 on Wednesday, 02 October 2013, by Colin Hinson. ©2010]